GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil filler cap spacer delete.

Syxx Shotter

Has an "S" on his chest
A friend showed me this about a month ago and I thought it cleans up the engine bay alot. First off the typical do this at your own risk; I accept no responsibility for damage you cause to your car blah, bliggity, blah.

1) First remove the oil cap and look at the bottom to make sure at the bottom there are notches for the cap to plug in down there (I'm not sure if all 2.0t's have these at the bottom. Please ensure before you move on. If your not sure take a picture of down in there and send it to me and I'll look to see if they are there). The notches should be at the bottom and look something like this. (red outline) PS I also have no idea if the new TSI or TFSI have these attempt at your own risk!!

2) Once you are sure that your car has that warm the car up to normal operating temperature.

3) Once it's heated up cut the car off.

4) Remove the oil filler cap and stuff a lint free rag down to the bottom to prevent dust, glue, etc from falling in.

5)Now use a big set of channel lock pliers and squeeze around the bottom (by the notches) of the oil filler spacer. Don't turn the channel locks as that will just scratch the plastic. Instead squeeze until you hear a click from the glue cracking; once you hear the click just do that all the way around.

6) The oil filler spacer should now just lift freely. Just remove the rag, make sure it's clear down there and put the cap on Ta-da. And now some before and after.

Before:

After:

Thanks to Cakeprez for the info. I personally feel this makes the engine bay look alot more "stock looking" after a filter on a stick is installed.

Msteadman

Go Kart Champion
:w00t: I always felt that part made the engine bay look quite awkward after removing the engine cover.
<---Is OCD :lol:

Get-a Trek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
1997 Jetta Trek
Holy Hell! :w00t: That is wicked awesome. Drive her to work tomorrow, then park her and get ready for a show this weekend. Gonna be the hit of the MKV crew. Thanks for the idea.

Syxx Shotter

Has an "S" on his chest
Thanks guys!! It's fairly easy and it has a huge impact on the appearance of the engine bay IMO.

BadGTI

Ready to race!
Is it possible to re-attatch the spacer to put the engine cover back on in the future? Also, do you guys think that dealers will complain about this?

Syxx Shotter

Has an "S" on his chest

Syxx Shotter

Has an "S" on his chest
Is it possible to re-attatch the spacer to put the engine cover back on in the future? Also, do you guys think that dealers will complain about this?

If your really good with glue it could probably be done. If a dealer doesn't complain about an intake; I don't see this being a big deal. My dealer never realized it was gone until I pointed it out.

ard

Ready to race!
this is great! :thumbsup:
i did it last weekend right after reading about it on here. my only complaint would be that i couldn't quite get every last bit of the glue out but i'm very happy with the new look of the engine bay. saves me the cash i was gonna have to spend on an evoms engine cover cause i couldn't stand that spacer.
thanks to the OP

Syxx Shotter

Has an "S" on his chest
this is great! :thumbsup:
i did it last weekend right after reading about it on here. my only complaint would be that i couldn't quite get every last bit of the glue out but i'm very happy with the new look of the engine bay. saves me the cash i was gonna have to spend on an evoms engine cover cause i couldn't stand that spacer.
thanks to the OP
Thats exactly what happened to me. I didn't want to buy the evoms cover (looks okay just not my cup of tea). I tried to get all the glue out also and ended up getting more scared about dropping anything down in there than I cared about a small amount of glue.