GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Change Question

nsfour

I'm in Canada, and am ready to purchase a Rabbit in the next couple weeks. I went to the dealership today and tried to find out the maintenance schedule and cost for the 2.5 Rabbit. User Manual recommends oil change for 8000km, 16000km and then every 16000km.

However, the dealership told me that they recommend oil change for every 8000km due to our weather here. We're cold, but not very cold, we get less than -20 only a couple/few weeks every year. I wasn't very convinced since cutting it from 16000km to 8000km seems to be too unreasonable to me.

Does the Rabbit really need oil change every 8000km or the dealership is just trying to rip people off??

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Khobin~

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'07 GTI, '97 YZF600R
I am also in Canada... the dealer here never said anything to me about making it 8,000 instead of 16,000 after the first 2 oil changes that is.

It was actually the other way around, I seen it changed to 16,000 kms and asked him about it and he said it would be fine for that period, he did say you could do it every 8,000 put you'll just end up paying more. :biggrin:

But heck, BMW is recommending 24,000 kms for their service appointments, so 16 shouldn't be that unreasonable :wink:

Unless you're racing the car, or running it extremely hard I'd say you're fine with the recommended intervals in the book. :thumbup: