GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ohlins struts

willems45

Ready to race!
Now that spring is getting close, I've bin thinking of more ways to spend my money on car parts, and I've been curious on whether or not the ohlins shock would be worth the money for autocross or would I be better off with a coil over setup.

I've used the search bar and there isn't much about them other then that
they would be good paired up with the dg spring

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008

willems45

Ready to race!
thanks for the links i found most of those already. they sound like realy good shocks
i would like to hear more about tracking them or autocross

Last edited:

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
I talked to the Ohlins guys a while ago, the shocks were designed for a Mk5 race series in Japan. The series requires stock springs so this is why these are standard struts, designed to be used with stock springs. DG springs would no doubt work great.

They did mention a customer who contacted Ground Control and purchased a coilover sleeve for the fronts and camber plates, and essentially converted them to coilovers, so it can be done. You could use a collar that takes 2.5" ID springs, and then use whatever rate linear springs you like.

http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=717/CA=65

The shocks can be adjusted to quite stiff, and will easily support double the factory spring rate, which is 225. You don't even need 450 lb springs for good handling, but for a track dedicated car that's the right ballpark.

I have the data sheet on them, but there isn't much of interest other than setup instructions and some initial damper settings to use.

With the conversion kit this would be a great setup.

willems45

Ready to race!
is it nessesary to have stiffer spring rates for autocross if you have bigger sway bars

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
I talked to the Ohlins guys a while ago, the shocks were designed for a Mk5 race series in Japan.

Are these manufactured by Yamaha? I know the RX7 R&T Ohlins (DFV) are made by Yamaha for domestic use only in Japan.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
I also heard from a friend the Mk.V Öhlins where made in Japan.

So Yamaha?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2005 S2000
AST has a new double digressive piston that goes in their new model 4XXX and 5XXX series shocks. I would go with those over any other brand in that $2000 range.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
The Ohlins rep told me the units they sell currently here in the State are made in Sweden, as his is currently out of stock and waiting for a batch to come in. Its possible they made some in Japan as well.

AST good stuff. Likely the better move as they are proper coilovers to start with. One thing I don't like about the AST's is they don't put the tab on the bottom that locates them in the spindle. Seems odd not to.

ryeboy

Passed Driver's Ed
I talked to the Ohlins guys a while ago, the shocks were designed for a Mk5 race series in Japan. The series requires stock springs so this is why these are standard struts, designed to be used with stock springs. DG springs would no doubt work great.

They did mention a customer who contacted Ground Control and purchased a coilover sleeve for the fronts and camber plates, and essentially converted them to coilovers, so it can be done. You could use a collar that takes 2.5" ID springs, and then use whatever rate linear springs you like.

http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=717/CA=65

The shocks can be adjusted to quite stiff, and will easily support double the factory spring rate, which is 225. You don't even need 450 lb springs for good handling, but for a track dedicated car that's the right ballpark.

I have the data sheet on them, but there isn't much of interest other than setup instructions and some initial damper settings to use.

With the conversion kit this would be a great setup.

That customer would likely be me :thumbsup:

I purchased the Ohlins for my mkV R32 with the idea that I would run them with stiffer OEM springs from the S3. For practical (NYC streets) and theoretical (suspension geometry) I wanted to run near stock ride height and maintain suspension travel. I figured that with Ohlins I could get Koni FSD advantages with better adjustability that would allow DD in NYC and some track potential.

Alas, after speaking with Beau at Performance Shock, Jeff B. at Ohlins USA, Dick Shine, and Tom H. from H2sport--they unanimously concurred that running OEM springs was a waste on such a fine damper. Both DS and TH are developing damper/spring kits for the mkV chassis: DS based on Koni/Eibach components and TH based on Ohlins/Eibach. I thought their time lines were too far out for Spring track season so I contacted GC. Donovan at GC enthusiastically set about engineering a kit to accommodate the Ohlins dampers. GC also uses Eibach springs. I am due to receive the GC kit tomorrow. The final spring rates are going to be 450/in front and 350/in rear.

Jeff B. at Ohlins USA seems to think this spring combo will not require revalving. He explained that high spring rates will not compromise damper performance at softer settings, but may make it less of a track beast when dialed up to higher settings. I think I can live with that compromise given my goals. He said I would not hurt the dampers running these rates.

Frankly, I wouldn't want to do anything to damage these lovely Ohlins dampers. They are beautiful in their form, engineering and attention to detail. I find myself looking for excuses to go out to my garage to fondle them while waiting for other stuff to arrive :wub:

It'll be a few weeks before I can install all of this suspension goodness, but I will report back once accomplished.

willems45

Ready to race!
why would the stock springs not be vary good with those shocks

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008