GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Offset or Width change?

Fully Alarmed

RS Golf,the 1 and only...
Car(s)
Golf MKV
I have put a set of aftermarket R32 reps on my Golf Mk5 but they stick out further than i would like, and further than original R32 wheels do.

They are 18x8 with an offset of ET42.

What do i need to change on my next set of wheels to put them to standard looking?

Is it the offset? If so which way do i go? Higher or lower in number? I believe that standard are ET51, is this correct?

Or if i go for a 18x7.5 would this correct the problem?

Its hard to tell from this pic but the front seems to stick out more than the rear, and the kerb damage i keep doing is unbelievable!!

Karel S

Ready to race!
A higher offset means the wheel will stick out less.

Wheel width is also a factor in terms of how far the wheel sticks out.
An 8.5" wheel with a 45 mm offset will stick out more than a 7.5" wheel with a 45 mm offset.

Last edited:

Blitzen

Professional .....
They are 18x8 with an offset of ET42.

I believe that standard are ET51, is this correct?

Or if i go for a 18x7.5 would this correct the problem?

Its hard to tell from this pic but the front seems to stick out more than the rear, and the kerb damage i keep doing is unbelievable!!

The rim is 8 inches wide (stock 7.5). So the 225 tire on the wheel will be more stretched on the wider wheel. Even as the 225 is the width in mm (appr. 9 inch) and in theory the tire should be still wider than the rim and "protect" it the actual tire width varies by manufacturer etc.
> but to protect a wheel from curbing the 7.5 rim works better

As far as the sticking out goes. The offset is the mm that the wheel is offset from the middle of the rim. An 8 inch wheel > 4 inches on both sides (with offset 0) would be 4 inches - 51 mm > 2 inches to the outside and 4 + 51mm > 6 inches to the inside (measured from the point where you attach the wheel)
(boy this is had trying to explain this in a second language.....)

In numbers:
7.5 ET51 are "sticking out" = 190.5mm/2 - 51mm = 44.25mm = 1.75inches
8 ET42 are "sticking out" = 203.2mm/2 - 42mm = 59.6mm = 2.35inches

Fully Alarmed

Car(s)
Golf MKV
MY GOD !!

Right so if i go for a 7.5 rim can i stay at an ET42 or do i need to change that to ET51 or would that be just too much?

I can't seem to find many wheels with an ET of 51 but plenty with an ET of 42 (ish).

So if i go for a 7.5 with an ET of 42 this should be better ? Yes ?

OH, and thanks for the info. A bit long winded but it did explain it a lot better.

Blitzen

Professional .....
MY GOD !!

Right so if i go for a 7.5 rim can i stay at an ET42 or do i need to change that to ET51 or would that be just too much?

I can't seem to find many wheels with an ET of 51 but plenty with an ET of 42 (ish).

So if i go for a 7.5 with an ET of 42 this should be better ? Yes ?

OH, and thanks for the info. A bit long winded but it did explain it a lot better.

As the 8x18 fit without rubbing "downgrading" to a 7.5x18 with the same offset will work.
> tire will overlap the rim more (less curb damage .... had 8x17 with 205/40 on my last car .... bad for curbing ... and in Germany everything is parallel parking)
> wheel will stick out a little less (1/4 of an inch)

ShadowGLI

Sandy Vagina Rinser Outer
Car(s)
2006 GLI w/ DSG
18x8 et 42 is PERFECT for our cars.. what are you finding wrong with it.. with a 225/40r18 tire you should be all set..

did you rub the screws in the front fender, if not that is a simple fix without messing up a good looking car.

Fully Alarmed

Car(s)
Golf MKV
As the 8x18 fit without rubbing "downgrading" to a 7.5x18 with the same offset will work.
> tire will overlap the rim more (less curb damage .... had 8x17 with 205/40 on my last car .... bad for curbing ... and in Germany everything is parallel parking)
> wheel will stick out a little less (1/4 of an inch)

Thats exactly what i wanted to hear !!!!

Thankyou.

However, parking with your mirrors instead of rubbing the wheel/tire into the curb would be the most logical change.

Not always possible when your better half drives the car occasionally.

Obvious (and most easiest) solution to me is to get a 18x7.5, would like to get the standard 18" GTI wheel (Diamond cut face version).

Then drop it an inch.

Fully Alarmed

Car(s)
Golf MKV
funny to hear that in a country with some of the toughest licensing requirements the MRS. still curbs wheels.

Aahh !! But you are forgetting that " Its was NOT her fault, the kerb jumped out at her "

ShadowGLI

Sandy Vagina Rinser Outer
Car(s)
2006 GLI w/ DSG
Am I the only one who feels like 5-10mm less poke is not going to make one lick of difference... if your getting within 50MM of a curb you're too close..haha..

I'd say just get crap wheels or tell her to stay away from curbs.. getting narrower or higher offset wheels is going to make zero impact on how many times she curbs them.. seriously its I----I <-- that much

Fully Alarmed

Car(s)
Golf MKV
Hang on a minute!

She doesn't run into the kerb to find out where it is, but judging the distance with this set of wheels on is a lot more difficult than it was before they were fitted.

Even i have noticed a difference, she's not the only one who has done it.

What i find amazing is that the original question has opened up a debate on the standard of my Wife's driving.

As far as i'm concerned the question has been answered, my decision has been made, case closed.

Thankyou to ALL involved.