GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Officially joined the R32/VW Family

speednguyen

Ready to race!
I finally bought the R32 yesterday, but had to go straight to work afterwards so didn't have time to post pictures or anything.
2008 R32 Blue with Navi. with 28k miles for 22+ttl. I'll miss my speed3 but thus far I'm loving the AWD! Especially last night when the roads was wet haha

I'll post up pictures tonight

Question: Does this PTO recall involve how the car begins to start moving from a stop? It hesitates and jerks a little before going off smoothly. Feels much more jerky in Reverse

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
DSG tranny? If so - the mechatronic unit might qualify for the recall...most of them do. Check with your dealer.

gotti

.:R32 OG lulz...
Car(s)
.:R32
Question: Does this PTO recall involve how the car begins to start moving from a stop? It hesitates and jerks a little before going off smoothly. Feels much more jerky in Reverse

Congrats first, post pics when you can. Second, search and don't waste time posting duplicate threads. Third to answer, you are driving a automated manual trans. So while yes there are recalls and what not the tranny is not perfect and will jerk. The ECU is "guessing" what your next move is so there sometimes will be a miss. Your best bet is to check out the history of your .:R and see if the recalls are all still open or if they were done...find a dealership you can get this info from without them suckering you into buying a bridge...:cool:

speedwurst

What you're feeling is the clutch disengaging, a pause while the proper gear is selected and then the clutch reengaging. The shift from 1st to reverse and vice-versa is esp long because both gears are on the same shaft. This is how the gearbox works.

It's very different from an automatic...you'll adapt to it in a week or two.

speednguyen

Ready to race!
What you're feeling is the clutch disengaging, a pause while the proper gear is selected and then the clutch reengaging. The shift from 1st to reverse and vice-versa is esp long because both gears are on the same shaft. This is how the gearbox works.

It's very different from an automatic...you'll adapt to it in a week or two.

It doesn't feel normal though. From a red light stop then when I move, it hesitates and seem to struggle to go until I give it more throttle. Reverse feels very hesitant and jerky. I'm going to head to the nearest dealership right now for an oil change and ask them about the mechatronics and a few more Questions.

Pictures will be posted when I'm not responding thru my phone

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
It doesn't feel normal though. From a red light stop then when I move, it hesitates and seem to struggle to go until I give it more throttle. Reverse feels very hesitant and jerky. I'm going to head to the nearest dealership right now for an oil change and ask them about the mechatronics and a few more Questions.

No; that's not normal. If you put it in gear (D or R) on a flat road; or especially on a slight incline, let off the brake without gas, and it bucks and jerks before it can get moving it is faulty.

That is a bad mechatronic unit and should be replaced under warranty. just make sure you can duplicate it and ask for a tech to do a ride along with you to show them.

If you can get the reverse gear to do that with them in the car it's an almost guaranteed immediate warranty... :biggrin:

speednguyen

Ready to race!
Went to the Dealership ( Metro VW) and their service is pretty awesome. I came in and just asked can you check my car to see if it has ever had the mechatronics recall done. He walked outside, pulled up the VIN# and said oh yeah there is a recall. I'll have the part ordered right now for you. He then offered a first time offer of a free oil change and car wash as a welcome to the VW Family. Lol. Loving the VW Family already

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
Went to the Dealership ( Metro VW) and their service is pretty awesome. I came in and just asked can you check my car to see if it has ever had the mechatronics recall done. He walked outside, pulled up the VIN# and said oh yeah there is a recall. I'll have the part ordered right now for you. He then offered a first time offer of a free oil change and car wash as a welcome to the VW Family. Lol. Loving the VW Family already

When you go back in bring that guy a little somthing to help him remember you... :thumbsup:

Gift card to a restaraunt; a 6 pack, etc... :biggrin:

10Ten

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R32
love it when the forum comes through.

Saab's info is spot-on, and speednguyen you chose a good shop. Baron at Metro was my service guy when i had a warranty, and he was honest and straight. the other SA's were helpful as well.

one point i didn't see mentioned...
when they get the mechatronics unit (MU) and are ready to install it in your DSG, they will need to open the tranny and basically give it a full 40k service as part of the MU swap. this will require DSG oil, which they will provide. but some dealers have been known to NOT replace the filter at this time to save the $20. so my advice is to ask to be sure they are either including that for you, or are giving you an opportunity to self-pay for the filter so the job is done right.

not a bad deal for you... you get the DSG's 40k service under warranty. that'll save you about $300.

gotti

.:R32 OG lulz...
Car(s)
.:R32
^^^^^No it's all good, not that I mentioned what to do first but hey thanks Saab for stealing the thunder...

lolasaurus_rex

Ready to race!

What I do is: When trying to pull away from a light, don't just press on the gas. Let go of the brake and wait a second or two. Then slowly give it gas.