GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Central Texas MkV thread

Jonny_5

Ready to race!
I posted in the other Texas thread, but this one seems to be more popular. Justed moved to Castle Hills a couple of weeks ago. Haven't noticed many VW's around me.

rocky5

toys r us KID!
Car(s)
07 GTI
I posted in the other Texas thread, but this one seems to be more popular. Justed moved to Castle Hills a couple of weeks ago. Haven't noticed many VW's around me.

SWEET car man!!

Autobahn Proven

Got here fast as I could
Car(s)
2006 GTi
Hello Again

Hi everyone. I haven't done anything since our awesome drive around the Hill Country when we visited Llano for some BBQ and a leisurely drive home. That was months ago...

Alex...we should do something similar again sometime. I would suggest a Sunday. Driving through Burnet a few weeks ago, I passed an air museum. It's not big... run by a collection of enthusiasts who love their toys (sound familiar?) Could be a good location for a shoot with the aircraft if we can persuade them... Meet somewhere central and find the long, twisty way there...

I've read the posts on servicing and find it disappointing to see some negative stuff that should really have been resolved in private. I've had good service by Hewlett (even installed my K&N for me) but it's not convenient for me to go every time (sorry guys). I've had a couple visits to Maund now and Brant Hooks is cool. My speedo used to show 77 with the Garmin GPS showing 70. He did his best with the tech stuff vw has and now it shows about 72-73.

VW service here in the US is however no match for the dealer I used for 5 years in Germany. I got to know the folks there quite well. It helped that I drove a rare mint Tornado Red 1991 GTi G60

and I was one of the few non Germans who spoke their language. The dealer system in Germany has a mobility guarantee - if you always have your car serviced at the dealer, no matter how old it is, you get a rental at no cost if your car breaks down - until they fix it. I used this once and it wasn't even a VW part that caused the engine to die. Maybe VWoA would consider doing the same thing... Anyway, I feel it helps if you foster a good relationship with your service writer.

Apologies for the longish post.

Last edited:

Jonny_5

Ready to race!
I haven't seen too many around here either, Johnny. You may want to check out www.strictlyea.com. ALthough it's not VW specific, it looks as thought those guys meet pretty regularly.

Cheers

Thanks for the link. I checked out their site. Looks pretty good. I had no idea MJM was near me. Might make it to their August meet.

Thanks Rocky5 :smile:

TexasVenom

Passed Driver's Ed
How about a bbq gtg at a lake? Maybe set it up at a park early enough to get a good spot and so we have some time to take a drive afterward. We did that with my old Ford truck group and it turned out great. We had the bbq over at Canyon Lake. Yeah we did this way back when gas was still under $2 a gallon and we could afford to drive trucks anywhere. Just an idea.

Black_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
So my wife tells me there are a couple of guys that work at Target?

Just curious if you guys are on here..?

Black_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Cool. I don't frequent the tex very much so that is probably why I didn't know about it.

Yeah Faith knows more about cars than most girls... esp my GTI cause I probably talk about it too much.. :thumbsup:

I don't know if I will be able to make it out tonight but I am going to try. If not, I assume this is a weekly thing?