GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM+ shift knob replacement

alexwilson94

Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI SE
Shorter shifter diy: ~$60 OEM+ (with added weight) or $35 (without weight).

I’ve never really liked the golf ball much (might just be me🤷🏻‍♂️), and I don’t like how tall it is, or the weight of it.

So I purchased a mk5 golf plus shift knob from eBay (picture of part number included) for $35. It sits lower making the shifts shorter and more crisp, weights slightly more - I believe I saw something online that says it’s ~130 grams, and looks better imo. Essentially it’s a straight up replacement with a few tweaks. Apologies in advance - I didn’t take progress pics and I really should have.

1627685160101.png
1627685104822.png

There are plenty of videos online on how to take off the oem shift knob off with the boot. Get to this step - please don’t cut anything like the videos show. It’s lazy and unnecessary, this shift knob will not work if you do. Simply heat up the release mechanism with a heat gun, and it’ll be much easier to pry it off gently with a flathead - you can still go back to oem.

Do the same thing with the new shift knob, as it comes with a boot attached to it. You can just twist the mechanism off - I used those rubbery grip kitchen pads to get a better grip on it. Once the boot is off, just reassemble everything with the new shifter! I used a small hose clamp instead of the metal ring for the shifter knob attachment.

The top of this knob comes off just by prying it off with fingernails, and has 4 hollow slots inside. I put some 1x1/4” tungsten rods into mine and filled the empty space with a steel epoxy. This added ~60-70 grams for a total of approximately 200 grams.

5.jpg

Again I’m sorry for the lackluster detail and lack of progress pics, I just really wanted to share since I personally love how it came out visually and how it feels.

Tldr: spend ~$60 on shifter + epoxy + some small tungsten weights and use your witty adventurous sense of ingenuity to make it work.

1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Nice solution. That chrome trim ring at the base would drive me nuts, I’d assume you could just hit it with some steel wool or fine sand paper to give it a brushed finish though.