GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NYPD

juicedUP

Part of the swole crew
Is anybody here an NYPD Police Officer?

Just curious about that career path and want to ask some questions.

I graduated with a BA in Accounting about a month ago and got a job as a IT Financial Coordinator. I work from 9-6 and have a 1 hour lunch break.

I dont know if I can see myself sitting behind a desk all day for the rest of my life. I have 2 very close friends who are cops in paterson, nj. They tell me their stories all the time and it seems like something I might be interested in. I like being hands on and on the move.

Base salary for NYPD starting this year is $43k with a top-out of 90k after 5.5 years not including overtime. Plus unlimited promotional opportunities.

Just dabbling in this topic and seeing my options. Any help is appreciated. :thumbup:

argue53

Go Kart Champion
i'm in your same situation.... my co-worker is taking the exam the 14 or 15th (can't remember). I grew up in Paterson so I know the cops have their handful. I actually lived in North Haledon (if you know the area) and would love to be a police officer in a small town like that.

awb17x

WHEEL Slayer
Car(s)
2006 GTI
NYPD is always looking for people. Just be ready for shitty hours as a boot.

juicedUP

Part of the swole crew
Whats shitty hours?

For example... My friends in paterson have a 4-day on 4-day off split.

they work 11hr shifts an have a 45 min lunch break with 2 15 minute personal breaks.

Is that what you mean by shitty? I would love to have a 4-day on and 4-day off. They love it. Is that how it is there?

clutch fool

OG MUFF DIVER
Car(s)
MK5 GTI 1st Owner
NYPD??? go the the burbs and become a police officer. more money and less chance of being shot.

juicedUP

Part of the swole crew
its not that easy. Both my friends tried it and said its hard because they take Military veterans first and then transfers. They say the best is to go to the hood first then transfer after a year or so

Sixgunz

EX NYPD....

There is no such thing as "career path".... Long live the hook!!! Unless you speak yiddish.

PM me if you want more info.....

With that said. Ive seen a lot. However NYPD has a ton to be desired.

You will learn a ton.

You WILL get into trouble.

You have to realize it is civil service, not private sector.

If you stay on for 20 you will get a good pension/health benifits for life. You will never be rich.

Nobody cares about you. You are just a cog in the wheel.

Your sister is getting married june 15th, your in the wedding party, tough-s you have to go to the PR day parade. It dosent matter if they have 2000 cops going.
I was denied the day off for my Grandmothers funeral. I TOLD them im not comming in. The wanted to suspend me.

After a while i wasnt scared of the people on the street, I was scared of the job itself. I have seen them go after people no reason.

Your going to have Sgt come to your job and have them "re-classify" your jobs so they dont fit in the 7 major crime catagories. Ie... make a robbery a assault 3 and a petit larcney.

you want to know about the current state of the NYPD search for "thee rant" on google. it will link you to the yuku board. It is a ton of cops voicing thier fellings on the job and king ray-ray.

Good luck. You are better off going out west somwhere and getting on the job out there.