GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Nitrous on 2.0t

Finnegan

The Drunken Irishman
bigdyno said:
I suggest you look into the purpose of a nitrous system a little more. While it does cool the intake charge, this is a side benefit. The purpose primarily is to provide extra oxygen for combustion. The nitrogen component is a carrier for the oxygen.

The reason a nitrous system has a fuel jet and a nitrous jet is to provide extra fuel with the extra oxygen. Think of it as a secondary system that adds an extra, complete air/fuel mixture to help performance.

Being unfamilliar with the dry setup, I did some research and found that the dry system is nitrous only and introduces it up stream in the intake tract. This set up relies on the OEM systems to add additional fuel through the injectors. It's a simpler system, but IMO a less reliable system as the OEM systems are operating at a higher demand and could potentially produce premature wear.

I would be very interested to hear if anyone does put their MkV on the juice.
Have you ever owned a vehicle with a nitrous setup? I've done a few nitrous cars in both dry and wet forms, one of which I just did 2 months ago (1999 Mustang GT). I just find it somewhat surprising you had to look up what a dry kit is. Meaning no offense of course, just curious.

Your added oxygen comes from the denser air, if the air is denser there are a lot more oxygen molecules in the allotted space (inside the cylinders). You are getting more oxygen but the oxygen coming from the nitrous itself is minor in comparison to what you get from the natural air being much cooler and denser than normal. Your stock engine is tuned to use the amount of oxygen normally found in the air, it of course can be flexible to manage different air temperatures. This is how a dry kit works, you spray it before the mas airflow sensor and it detects the cooler temperatures and adjusts the fuel accordingly. You have to spray a dry shot before the MAF or the engine goes extremely lean (because it doesn't detect the change in temperature) and boom.

A wet kit will enter the intake tract further past the MAF in order to keep from messing up your air/fuel mixture. If a wet shot was sprayed before the MAF the MAF would cause the engine to dump fuel to compensate for the lower temps (just like on a dry shot) which would combine with the fuel the wet kit sprayed making your engine go extremely rich. Wet kits are much safer (if properly installed) than a dry kit because it does not rely on your computer's ability to adjust for the nitrous, it adds the fuel it needs to compensate for the denser air via a Y shaped fitting. The dangers of this type of setup? If one of your solenoids fails, be it fuel or nitrous, your engine will either go extremely lean or extremely rich (this is why I always run two solenoids in line with each other to have a fail safe - if one fails and sticks open the other is there to close).

Long story short, I stand by my previous statement that the oxygen your getting from the nitrous itself is negligible. The real problem here is I don't know anyone that's ever tried using nitrous on a direct injection engine. I would highly suggest that anyone thinking of running nitrous on their GTI/GLI wait until one of the many nitrous companies releases a kit for it. I've only pieced together one custom kit and I would never try it on an engine I was unfamiliar with.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
well when i get back to florida...as long as my friend has a spare kit laying around...i may be the first(that i know of) GTI to get a wet kit...hehe...but we will see...right now he has no kits and the one kit he is getting is going on a civic that he has waiting for me

bigdyno

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
My experience with Nitrous has been entirely on carburetted engines, the dry system is a fuelie hop-up. While I have never owned a nitrous system, I would think the drag-bike set up and dyno tuning I have done should suffice for adequate experience.

Since everyone seems to accept Wikipedia as a reasonably reliable resousrce:

Internal combustion engine
Main article: Nitrous
In car racing, nitrous oxide (often just "nitrous" in this context) is sometimes injected into the intake manifold (or just prior to the intake manifold) to increase power: even though the gas itself is not flammable, it delivers more oxygen than atmospheric air by breaking down at elevated temperatures, thus allowing the engine to burn more fuel and air. Additionally, since nitrous oxide is stored as a liquid, the evaporation of liquid nitrous oxide in the intake manifold causes a large drop in intake charge temperature. This results in a smaller, denser charge, and can reduce detonation, as well as increase power available to the engine

Nitrous Oxide is an oxidizer, meaning it readily gives up oxygen. If you didn't need the oxygen component (for combustion), as can be determined by your statements Finnigan, why not use an inert gas like Nitrogen to do the job?

I will not (have not) disputed the cooling effect of the gas, but once again encourage you to do some reading and see for your self. In order for just cooling the air to be enough to produce the power that nitrous systems produces, you would have to drop the temperature an unrealistic ammount. I can't quote you the specific ammount of temperature drop, I always sucked at physics, but it would be an insane ammount. Also, the oem injection systems, IMO, couldn't support the volume of fuel needed if it was just cold air that was really dense. Also, for any given volume, if you are filling that volume with a third, inert substance, it would make less power, not more.

Lastly, it's not just the MAS that determines the fuel needs, it also depends, among other things on the O2 sensor and others that will also tell the injection system to add fuel. My guess is that the dry system was developed to simplify installation (not having to tap into the high pressure fuel system and simple injector installation). Anyone who wants to make lots of power with nitrous will more likely than not have a wet, multistage system.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
cool

ill be back home in acouple weeks...me and my friend are going to try a wet kit on my car as long as i can find a bottle for cheap

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
07mkvgti said:
i think nitrous is the gameshark of the racing world...

well to each thier own...but if u think of nitrous as a cheat device...well then so are a turbo and supercharger....they are all power adders...its just that car makers decided to produce engines with turbos and superchargers already on them

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
Car(s)
Golf mk5 GTTDI 2.0
all i know is that they all make the car go faster! :burnrubber:

i didnt know that it was such a big deal sticking a nitrous system in the car..

07mkvgti

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
06 GTi
Freek said:
well to each thier own...but if u think of nitrous as a cheat device...well then so are a turbo and supercharger....they are all power adders...its just that car makers decided to produce engines with turbos and superchargers already on them
maybe true, but i dont' like the fact that at a press of a button, a gas sprays and ur off....it'z like steroids.