GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Nice A3 vs. GTI comparison

dvdre

Where is pancakes house?
Click for the online comparison

It looks pretty accurate. I am still waffling between the two, plus I have been having a very hard time finding a used A3. If I go with the GTI, I think I will do the Autobahn package, so it is a good comparison with the A3.

One week I am sure I want an A3, then the next week I am sure I want a GTI. Luckily the perfect car hasn't shown up in the two months I have been looking.

I love the Audi brand, but coming from a BMW I am tired of the 'elitist' feel. My BMW only cost me $13,000 (four years ago!) but everyone thinks I paid a fortune for it.

Interesting details:

-- The GTI is 2.9 inches shorter and 1.2 inches narrower (I like that)

-- The GTI is 2.5 inches taller. I like that.

-- The GTI has more headroom in the front and rear seats.

-- The GTI has more shoulder room in the front and back.

-- The GTI has the same legroom up front and .5 inches better in the back.

-- The GTI has more cargo room, except when seats are folded down.

-- Similarly equipped, the GTI costs $6,002 less.

That is why I think I can consider a new GTI versus a used A3.

IF ONLY ANYONE HAD A SILVER GTI, 4-DOOR WITH AUTOBAHN IN STOCK!

robertades

Passed Driver's Ed
Haven't read the article yet, but I suspect that you'll receive better treatment at Audi dealers simply because they target a higher price point in the marketplace where they have to compete with Merc and BMW.

That said, the GTI is more fun to drive.

Click for the online comparison

It looks pretty accurate. I am still waffling between the two, plus I have been having a very hard time finding a used A3. If I go with the GTI, I think I will do the Autobahn package, so it is a good comparison with the A3.

One week I am sure I want an A3, then the next week I am sure I want a GTI. Luckily the perfect car hasn't shown up in the two months I have been looking.

I love the Audi brand, but coming from a BMW I am tired of the 'elitist' feel. My BMW only cost me $13,000 (four years ago!) but everyone thinks I paid a fortune for it.

Interesting details:

-- The GTI has more headroom in the front and rear seats.

-- The GTI has the same legroom up front and .5 inches better in the back.

That is why I think I can consider a new GTI versus a used A3.

IF ONLY ANYONE HAD A SILVER GTI, 4-DOOR WITH AUTOBAHN IN STOCK!

Roca

REVOed
Car(s)
CC
I believe they stopped the silver by the way...

and this makes no sense

lol is it shorter or taller?

bcze1

You people make me laugh
Interesting details:

I don't know how much these stats are dictating your decision, but don't believe everything you read. First, how is the GTI 1.2 inches narrower and yet still has more shoulder room? Sure the door panels could be of varying thickness, but having sat in both I'm pretty confident the A3's interior is wider.

Also, I'm 100% positive the A3 has more storage space, seats up or down. Look at them next to eachother, no comparison. The A3's storage area is much deeper with the seats up. It probably has 50% more space than a GTI.

Otherwise good comparison, obviously one many of us have considered. It came down to 2 things for me, the GTI was much more fun to drive and roughly $5k less. I like Audi's a lot, but I won't pay over $1,000 per ring.

gatorfast

man amongst boys
You like the fact that the GTI is taller in height?

Raddicted

Perfectly insane
The new A3 with the 2.0T, DSG, and Quattro would be a sweet ride.

dvdre

Where is pancakes house?
On the taller issue. Yeah, I appreciate that the GTI is taller. On BBC's Top Gear, during the GTI review, they more or less said 'the future of mankind rests on this car.' They were meaning that people should abandon their gas-guzzling station wagons and monster SUVs for a car like this -- very fun and very practical. The height makes the car extremely friendly for passengers. You sit up fairly high. (You don't fall into it like you do in my BMW.) The height makes the cargo area massive.

The A3 seems a bit low-slung by comparison. Still, I will admit the A3 is overall nicer looking.

I happen to like the Honda Element, too. NOT FOR ME. But I wish my wife would buy one.

clutch fool

OG MUFF DIVER
Car(s)
MK5 GTI 1st Owner
as much as i love the look of the a3 when you see that comparison it really is a no brainer. hid's almost $750 extra on the audi!?! ouch. btw, what is the S Line Package and what conveniences do you get with the convenience package?

majinfajita

I literally went through this decision only 3 months ago.

SLine on the A3 gives you the "sport" suspension and different wheels. And some trim pieces. It also gets you different leather seats and "alloy" paddles with the DSG/s-tronic instead of black metal paddles.

I dunno about the convenience package, not something I looked into, but you need to get the tech package for HID's, and cold weather package (900 bucks) for heated seats when the GTI comes with both standard (in Canada) and the sport suspension standard.

For me, it came down to a price difference of 15k. Ya you read that right.
A3 S Line with DSG, cold weather package and tech package, 46k including all fees
vs 5-door GTI with DSG, cloth seats, 31k including pdi, admin, etc.
And yes, I know the price calculator on audicanada.com says the price shouldn't even be close to 46. Glenmore Audi was trying to fleece me whereas I bought the GTI off of someone on another vw forum who works at a dealership. The fact that GA thought I was going to be dumb enough to fleece means that dealership will not get my money. Ever. I will drive to Edmonton to buy an Audi to make a point.

And I concur that the A3 has more storage room with the seats up. By a little bit. But oddly enough, the ride quality is better in the GTI than in the A3 with the S-Line suspension, both with 17" rims, handling is about on par. Oh, and the GTI sounds racier with the noise pipe, lol....

Last edited:

turbotrucka

Rig Stig
Car(s)
'15 GT3
I test drove a used A3 when I bought my GTI. The A3 seems like a "nicer" car, but I still liked the GTI better. They were the same price, only one was a year older and have 20k more miles on it.

yahookendogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08' GTI United Gray
heck, i wouldn't even consider a new A3, i think there ugly. only Audi's i would get is RS4 or R8.

bovice

Banned
Car(s)
Zamboni
i actually test drove an A3 before the GTI. A3 had leather seats, but it was fairly basic. the steering was pretty soft as well as the suspension. the shifts were very smooth in the A3 (6mt) but it felt just a little too soft all around. the GTI feels firmer and sportier, and I personally think the GTI is more fun to drive. (no im not biased towards the GTI, previously owned an A4)