GOLFMKV

NHTSA Investigation into VW, Audi vehicles for fuel leaks

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

IndGTi

Passed Driver's Ed
Gents, don't get me wrong, I loved my GTI but I was fed up with of all the issues, from a constant cyl 2 misfire, to leaky and rattling sunroofs to a fuel leak to a weak clutch pack within a short time. Combine this with the poor dealership and customer service quality experience (this is right down the ally from their NA Customer Service Headquarters in Auburn Hills MI) and I was done with VW and all it's sub-brands. Got an Acura and I am happy for now. My only argument is that VW needs to lift its socks up and improve product Q overall.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Try one, you'll be pleasantly surprised : ) I was a naysayer as well but I really like mine now.

What’d ya get?

I learned how to drive in an 08 TL Type-S - that was an AWESOME car and to this day has a timeless design. Would still look good on a showroom floor IMO. But Honda and Acura both lost me after that time period as the next-gen TL was a grandpa car (my dad got one after his 08’s lease was up - we both hated it lol he traded it in early for a VW CC), the TSX was bloated, and they lagged while the rest of the automotive world was innovating on DCTs and turbo motors. The first gen TLX wasn’t a good looker.

It wasn’t until Honda got the designer who made the A7 and produced the 11th gen civic and all the current crop that are out these days that my interest was piqued. Especially now that I too hate VW (lol, the MK8 is hideous and there’s not a single VW besides the Arteon I would drive), I am pretty sure my next car, which will also be my first 2nd car, will be an 11th Gen Civic Type R.

So I can totally see your point, and I walk back my little jab about it being a bummer you got an Acura lol.

IndGTi

Passed Driver's Ed
What’d ya get?

I learned how to drive in an 08 TL Type-S - that was an AWESOME car and to this day has a timeless design. Would still look good on a showroom floor IMO. But Honda and Acura both lost me after that time period as the next-gen TL was a grandpa car (my dad got one after his 08’s lease was up - we both hated it lol he traded it in early for a VW CC), the TSX was bloated, and they lagged while the rest of the automotive world was innovating on DCTs and turbo motors. The first gen TLX wasn’t a good looker.

It wasn’t until Honda got the designer who made the A7 and produced the 11th gen civic and all the current crop that are out these days that my interest was piqued. Especially now that I too hate VW (lol, the MK8 is hideous and there’s not a single VW besides the Arteon I would drive), I am pretty sure my next car, which will also be my first 2nd car, will be an 11th Gen Civic Type R.

So I can totally see your point, and I walk back my little jab about it being a bummer you got an Acura lol.
My (realistic) options were an RDX or MDX since we have 4yr old and another on the way. I did test drive the '23 Type S and it's a hoot but way out of the budget. We finally settled on a '20 RDX w/ Tech Package and with a OTD price of ~$37k at 20k miles including an 7yr extended warranty, it's a bargain. It drives like a dream and the features offered will put an Atlas in the dump. Customer service is fantastic, smartphone based remote start is included (must have feature if you stay in MI) and maintenance is affordable since this can be done at a local Honda dealership. The only downside is the fuel consumption but I can live with this instead of the poor reliability compared to my GTI. Drove the MK8 when my GTI was in for a warranty repair and I think they've gone backwards compared to the MK7/7.5. I was never an Acura fan especially with the nose beak design of the older models but these ones are quite nice. If you're interested in the Type R, check out the Integra Type S.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
My (realistic) options were an RDX or MDX since we have 4yr old and another on the way. I did test drive the '23 Type S and it's a hoot but way out of the budget. We finally settled on a '20 RDX w/ Tech Package and with a OTD price of ~$37k at 20k miles including an 7yr extended warranty, it's a bargain. It drives like a dream and the features offered will put an Atlas in the dump. Customer service is fantastic, smartphone based remote start is included (must have feature if you stay in MI) and maintenance is affordable since this can be done at a local Honda dealership. The only downside is the fuel consumption but I can live with this instead of the poor reliability compared to my GTI. Drove the MK8 when my GTI was in for a warranty repair and I think they've gone backwards compared to the MK7/7.5. I was never an Acura fan especially with the nose beak design of the older models but these ones are quite nice. If you're interested in the Type R, check out the Integra Type S.
Glad you like it. I wish my parents sprung for an RDX when they got a Hybrid CRV last year, I was surprised by that. But you said fuel efficiency isn’t great which was one of their goals.

I just don’t think the new integra looks as good as the CTR. I think the 11th gen civic is the best looking one they ever made. It’s very German in appearance (again, same guy who did the A7 lol). The integra very much looks like an Acura.