GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New vw bus

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
1) I'll believe it when it actually hits the dealer showroom. I've seen new Bus concepts waived around year after year after year.

2) Ew - it's just a tacky looking minivan.

3) Maybe, if they came out with a Westfalia version, and it could tow a racecar on a trailer, I'd have a look at one.

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
iunno i think it looks pretty cool, a lot of character. but i think the styling is love or hate much like the beetle.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Here's what the "concept" version looks like:

Here's what the final production version will look like. ;)

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Here's what the "concept" version looks like:

Here's what the final production version will look like. ;)

Lmao! Yes, based on what happens so often, I wouldn't be surprised. One can only hope. I saw a review where someone drove the concept. It's on Youtube. The electric equiv of 369 hp in a futuristic VW Bus has got to be cool beans. Hard to believe VW will really do this, they are usually more conservative. Maybe they are looking for new ways to re-fill their coffers from the diesel-gate payouts. What better way than to actually build exciting cars that people will buy in boatloads. Then maybe a 500 hp electric Golf R !!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
If they made it, people would buy it no doubt.

Not me, but they already got me with the GTI so I'm not the target audience anyway

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Off they only made an ICE version.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Many runs like that and it will only go 20 miles.

Which is why it will be a long time before I own an electric. If ever. The problem is, it will always be the same. Even when they make a higher density battery, it will be smaller to achieve their range goals. Maybe there will be special models that have brutal acceleration with extra batteries to maintain range, but they'll be too expensive for ordinary people.

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Which is why it will be a long time before I own an electric. If ever. The problem is, it will always be the same. Even when they make a higher density battery, it will be smaller to achieve their range goals. Maybe there will be special models that have brutal acceleration with extra batteries to maintain range, but they'll be too expensive for ordinary people.

I listen to car pod cast that think 100% electric is the future.
I think they have a long way to go.
Also no one has resolved where all power will come from?
Where will battery raw materials come from for that quantity?

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I'm with the 'I'll believe it when they build it' crowd. It is a great idea though. And I'm seeing commercials that 18's will have 6 year 72k bumper to bumper warranty...wow.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I listen to car pod cast that think 100% electric is the future.
I think they have a long way to go.
Also no one has resolved where all power will come from?
Where will battery raw materials come from for that quantity?

I never considered if there is enough lithium to go around. Perhaps they'll figure out how to do it with common, plentiful materials.

I do know there's currently not enough electricity to go around. You'll need 80 Amps per hour at 220 volts. Preferably 440 volts. I have 200 Amp service and it's not enough to simultaneously charge a car and run everything in my home. Everyone will need a separate line for the charger. At least half the households in the US won't be able to afford it.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
I never considered if there is enough lithium to go around. Perhaps they'll figure out how to do it with common, plentiful materials.

I do know there's currently not enough electricity to go around. You'll need 80 Amps per hour at 220 volts. Preferably 440 volts. I have 200 Amp service and it's not enough to simultaneously charge a car and run everything in my home. Everyone will need a separate line for the charger. At least half the households in the US won't be able to afford it.

I read a lot of stuff on lithium, can't tell which one to beleive. Supposedly China has a lock on the market due to having the greatest amount in the ground. I read another item saying US goobermint wants to control Ahganistan because there is a lot of lithium there. Apparently Musk thinks he will get plenty of lithium for his ginormous battery Gigafactory. Musk ain't schtoopid, although he may be batshit crazy.