GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Radio with backup camera

-=Jeff=-

My mom is i her 80s and has a MK6 with a basic AM/FM/CD.

She would like me to install a backup camera.. I am guessing since is is a more basic model wiring is not there, I can handle that but what is a decent Camera setup and it simple to use without breaking the bank?

I don't have too many details on the car but can get them if needed

clownish

just clowning around
OEM is around $300 for the emblem module and associated wiring - but don't quote me. I haven't checked pricing in at least five years.

I'm sure you can pull the OEM part number and get the comparable ebay, alibabi etc. reps that will work just fine. I also believe that most of the wiring IS in place, no matter the trim level, on a mk6 and it is just because of NA regulations that we didn't get the physical camera installed. You'll also need Vagcom to code that rear view camera on properly.

-=Jeff=-

Thanks guys. I found a website with the rcd330 plus (apparently a Chinese company) that sells an emblem camera $149 and a head unit that seems to be android based. I also was looking into the CarPlay/android auto options. I like that write up. I will see what I can find

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Thanks guys. I found a website with the rcd330 plus (apparently a Chinese company) that sells an emblem camera $149 and a head unit that seems to be android based. I also was looking into the CarPlay/android auto options. I like that write up. I will see what I can find

I had the RCD330+ and OEM like camera, you refer to, installed in my Golf R. Love it. The RCD330+ is a VW factory radio for cars from the Asian market. Works great, requires no code to use and its screen provides a nice clear backup pic and love the CarPlay which can be used with iPhone or it has Android support as well. Waze, Google Maps work, it reads me my iphone text messages etc. I added a Fosgate sub woofer and it really sounds great. I had just the standard radio and speakers. I also added the Renn-Tech magnetic iphone holder.

-=Jeff=-

Thanks for the response. I order that setup. Waiting for it to arrive so I can get it installed. That alone with make the car better.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Thanks for the response. I order that setup. Waiting for it to arrive so I can get it installed. That alone with make the car better.
It does, for sure.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Any tips for the install?
There are a few excellent DIY youtube vids on installing this exact setup. I watched them all, ordered the recommended tools to help remove interior panels etc, then watched it again and decided it was more work than I wanted to take on, took it down to good car stereo shop and got everything done in a day. It wasn't cheap but so happy with the results and not having to deal with an install that I could do but it would have been my first time and I am sure I would encounter issues, maybe even break some of the panel fastners etc.

-=Jeff=-

Got it installed, it worked for a week and then Car Play quit. I have an email to the company to see what the next steps are. Car has sat the last week so not sure why it no longer works. Keeps saying the USB cable is bad. I will try another to be sure but it is a bit frustrating

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
the 330 is finicky with USB Lightning cables but it has been working well.

Radio on, then unlock phone, then use carplay works best for me.
Sorry about your USB issue but those cable to go bad and I find fairly often that the lightning connector just needs to be cleaned (pencil eraser cleans contacts). Our family has a number of Apple devices and this has happened to me quit a few times.