GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

new member - Melbourne/Brisbane!

DEEJ

Ready to race!
Hi all!

I'm a new member and just picked up a '06 GTI...i'm totally in love with it!

I drove one in Europe last year for a road trip and also around Nurburgring. After that trip, I knew I had to have one :biggrin:

Specs- Black 5 door, manual, leather, sat-nav, sunroof, 18" Karthoum factory wheels, xenon, ipod, elec lumbar, tint...

It's my 3rd european car and I can't get enough of them. Such quality!

I live in Melbourne but I'm moving up to Brisbane in 2 months for work. I'd love to meet any members in Melbourne for a cruise or car wash (it's black so I have to wash it soo much haha) or trackdays.

I have a heap of questions and I love golfs so I can't wait to start chatting to you guys. I've spent ages searching for answers on this forum and you guys seem to know your stuff so hopefully you can help :)

Also, I have 2 sets of wheels and either are for sale at the right price
- 17" factory 'Denver' GTI wheels with CS2's 95% tread
- 18" factory 'Karthoum' wheels with Michilen Pilot Preceda 70% tread
both sets are in Perfect condition, no kerbing at all

Cheers,

Dylan

Dubber76

Ready to race!
Welcome mate :wink:
Nice Specs on the GTI :smile: Enjoy and be safe..

I will be taking my car to FI for a wash this Saturday around midday.. Come along if you are free ..Cheers

TimT

Go Kart Champion
hey mate. You didnt used to drive an e46 330ci by chance?

There are two events taking place this weekend i believe. There is one organised by the guys here on sat and vwwatercooled guys are having a cruise up to yea via kinglake on sunday.

fbruxel

stig's brother
Car(s)
07 GTI DSG
hey mate welcome! i'm in Brisbane... so when you move up we'll go for a cruise or something.

Nice car selection - black is nice but like you said, you have to wash it a lot! I envy you so much for having driven a car around THE RING

how much do you want for the 18s btw?

DEEJ

Ready to race!
Thanks for the warm welcome!

The gtg sounds great. Hopefully I have some spare time on Sat cause I live nearby.

Yeah I 'had' a 330ci haha. My friend borrowed it and wrote it off :( so I decided to get a GTI cause they are so much fun. I'm truly addicted to driving it!

I used to live near Mt Glorious, there are some great roads up there...have you ever been on them? QLD has some really nice windy roads, can't wait to get up there and cruise with you guys. I'll pm you when I move up.

I'm willing to sell them for retail -20%. They are in 100% condition so please let me know if you are interested as there are a few ppl on another forum who have already expressed interest.

My last car was silver i.e. washed every 2-3 months. I'm having a midlife crisis watching it get dirty everyday haha but it's oh so satisfying just after it's been washed. I'm thinking of Zaino'ing it a couple of times so it will be easy to just wash down quickly and maybe preserve my sanity :D

Cheers,

Dylan

TimT

Go Kart Champion
ahh i thought it may have been you. Met you on a couple of the old ECCA events years ago I think?

I was the dude with the blue mk3 golf VR6 if you havent blocked all that stuff out of your memory :p

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
Dylan, welcome, please tell me more about taking a GTI around the Nordschleife. I tried to find a GTI or Cooper S to hire when we were there in May 06 but couldn't find any at reasonable prices. While I had "budget approval" to hire an RS4 or 911 I figured that with no insurance coverage that was too much of a risk and settled for an SLK 200 which was plenty for both the autobahns and fanging around the Nurburgring. A GTI would have been great...

Cheers Liam

DEEJ

Ready to race!
Hey Tim, I remember you! It will be nice to catch up again

Nordschleife was spiritual haha

I'd always wanted to go and last year my friend who speaks German moved over for 6months in the middle of summer which was perfect.

Because my friend speaks german, we found a site through the net which rented us a GTI 5 door, manual, black, sunroof, leather, bi-xenon, ipod (similarities anyone? haha) for about $1000 for 3 weeks I think. I'm not sure but it was about the same price we were getting quoted for 1.8L diesel astas on all english websites.

We ended up staying in a little hotel/B&B inside the track which is where most people stay.

The key to Nurburgring is to stay nearby and get there as early as possible. We were one of the first runs of the day and the track was empty so we went flat out.

It was rediculously cheap compared to a trackday. something like $20/lap which is equivelant to 1 session at a trackday. The most bizzare thing about Nurburgring is it's complete lack of safety. Because it is a public toll road, not a racetrack, you're not allowed to have track mods, i.e. you're car has to be street legal including the spare tyre inside. There is no inspection and all you have to do is put a ticket into a machine like at a carpark exit. You're out there driving next to bikers (who always seem to be killing themselves). This is really wierd to adjust to cause I've done a alot of trackdays in Melbourne and the emphasis is always on safety.

But after driving through europe for 3 weeks, I realised they do things differently and they are damn good drivers so it works. The way we drive on cruises is how they drive everywhere in Italy haha.

you can watch video's a million times or play it on Forza/GT4 but immediately, the track feels so much shorter. I nearly missed one breaking area cause the long back straight heading into the 1st carousel seemed to be half as short as it was in the games/DVD's.

No track I have ever been on compares to how incredibel Nordschleife is. The way it changes direction so violently with so much camber swapping keeps your adrenalin pumping the entire lap...there is no let off. It leaves you an addict- you've been warned!

I remember one corner -adenauer forst like i did it yesterday.You come down this massive hill building up huge speeds and as you hit the uphill section, the car almost bottoms out and your spine just compresses so much you feel dizzy then immediately there's a sharp left then right but the road dips a little as your about to turn in after the uphill so the car completely unloads and you have almost no grip to make the initial turn. If you're not 100% switched on, you'll go straight ahead into the wall head on at 100+

There's a huge crowd of spectators there waiting for you to crash :laugh:

My first warm up lap became my timed lap because the rest of the day rained out :( It suited me though cause I'm ususally better at doing fast out laps then slowly chipping away at my times all day so I felt comfortable in the car so I wasn't upset. In the afternoon we came back and I did a wet lap by accident. I started the lap and as I left the toll booth, it started pouring. It was probably the scariest driving i've ever done as the golf had absolutely no traction. It's wierd cause there are spectators even when it rains. I got cheers from druken spectators as my golf just kept sliding through the first couple of corners before they warmed up...they were willing me to crash haha

The wet doesn't stop everyone racing though which suprised me! I remember towards the end of the lap being pushed wide on an off camber corner by a porsche and golf who thought they were quicker. We were all simililar speeds as it turned out and we went 3 wide through the corner almost touching and I got pushed onto the wet grass. I was certain they were going to puch me in the wall. I would have let them pass but there were so many more cars behind us who i figured were going to do the same so I put the foot down and went ahead...also a bit of pride made me want to beat them haha. It was extrememly nerve racking but satisfying when i made it safely back to the pits. The track is so huge, it could be sunny on one side and raining on the other side so you have to pay attention to the weather. My advice is do not go out when it's wet or looking like raining, I wouldn't do it again, it's just not worth the risk cause there is no such thing as a runoff area on Nordschleife!

I have a video of my dry warm up lap and I'll try to post it up if anyone is interested. From memory, I think my time was about 9:30-40 from bridge to gantry but I'm not sure, I'd have to check the video. I had a passenger who recorded it. If anyone wants to know some info about my trip for their own plans, feel free to PM me cause i kept a whole diary of my trip so I can go back again.

Excluding airfares, I spent $3000 in total for 3 weeks on food, car, premium petrol, a sat nav, accomodation and entertainment so If you want to do europe on a budget, I'd love to help!

Last edited:

blue2th

Ready to race!
colleague of mine did his laps in a GTI too. he hired his car at www.rent-racecar.de think it cost him 500Euro with a write off excess of Euro2k!!!!

here are some pics he took.

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    291 KB · Views: 483
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    276.2 KB · Views: 471
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 470

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
Nice one, gee, the car park looks pretty empty there, must be early in the morning.

I did 6 laps and we arrived at about 8:30am and it was still reasonably quiet. But if I had my time again I'd get there bang on the 7:30am opening time. By about 9:30 the place was absolutely packed. And I we were there on a Wednesday. I did 3 laps in the morning and 3 laps late in the day. Doesn't sound like much does it, but in distance travelled that's about the same as 60 laps of Wakefield. :laugh:

Here's a reasonably funny thread from the Tex:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2602341

And, my long winded account from the same thread:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2602341&postid=29162312#29162312

Cheers
Liam

Supergroove

pencil neck geek
Wow that sounds really cool DEEJ, I had no Idea about the details of the Nurburgring, just what I have seen on Top Gear etc, Ford Transit with crazy german chick, thanks for the interesting post!