GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Job Salary Negotiation Advice

Wazzap1101

Ready to race!
Hey guys, Im going to be brought on full time to Tokio Marine Management (a property and casualty insurance company) in NYC as an entry level QA Analyst; I was wondering if you guys have any advice for negotiating the salary. I interned for a few months, and they decided to take me on full time.

Also, I looked only and I cant really find a solid salary to bench on. Any suggestions? I really appreciate it

notanerd1411

Ready to race!
congrats on the new position. What type of QA position is it? web or mobile? also will you be using automated test tools?

Its hard to give you an average range without a few more details.

Wazzap1101

Ready to race!
congrats on the new position. What type of QA position is it? web or mobile? also will you be using automated test tools?

Its hard to give you an average range without a few more details.

Thanks! sorry about that. Its QA for their databases (rapidsure, etc). I use pretty much the IBM rational testing tools (clear quest, clear quest, etc)

if you need any other info, lemme know, and thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Also, Im 23, and I've got an MBA. That could be used to my advantage hah

cskm

Banned
Car(s)
GTI
ok so here is a few tips and tricks that i learned and have had success from increasing my expected salary. i graduated university in may 2010 and since then i've had 2 full time positions both times i was able to sucessfully negotiate my wage/benefits.

1.) never state how much you're looking for. especially when they ask. The employers will either know what salary they want to pay, or try to see how low you can go.

2.) when they do ask how much you want + benefits, reply with a question something like how much were you considering to be a fair amount considering my education and experience. they will generally give you a pretty good ball park figure. after that, you'll have the upper hand in telling them what you are confortable with and what wage + benefits will make you happy.

3.)if the employers are firm on a salary, and it's not the amount you were hoping for, you can negotiate better benefits (ie. more vacation days is the easiest one to get).

this all depends on how attractive you are to them, and what the competition is for the job you're going for as well. so it is a very sensitive game to play and you should play it carefully. you should be firm in your wage idea, a wage that you will be happy making and set your sights on that. dont go overboard and state a amount 20-30% higher than what you know you can make.

Wazzap1101

Ready to race!
ok so here is a few tips and tricks that i learned and have had success from increasing my expected salary. i graduated university in may 2010 and since then i've had 2 full time positions both times i was able to sucessfully negotiate my wage/benefits.

1.) never state how much you're looking for. especially when they ask. The employers will either know what salary they want to pay, or try to see how low you can go.

2.) when they do ask how much you want + benefits, reply with a question something like how much were you considering to be a fair amount considering my education and experience. they will generally give you a pretty good ball park figure. after that, you'll have the upper hand in telling them what you are confortable with and what wage + benefits will make you happy.

3.)if the employers are firm on a salary, and it's not the amount you were hoping for, you can negotiate better benefits (ie. more vacation days is the easiest one to get).

this all depends on how attractive you are to them, and what the competition is for the job you're going for as well. so it is a very sensitive game to play and you should play it carefully. you should be firm in your wage idea, a wage that you will be happy making and set your sights on that. dont go overboard and state a amount 20-30% higher than what you know you can make.

awesome info, thanks a bunch. i didn't even think to add benefits into the equation :thumbsup:

notanerd1411

Ready to race!
yeah that is great advice, always take into account the benefits and other job perks when negotiating.

it also depends on your area and the market. Here in SF you would be looking at somewhere around 65k to 75k a year, probably more with more experience.

cskm

Banned
Car(s)
GTI
thanks guys.

another key point i forgot to add, make sure you're very certain of what the lowest amount you are willing to earn to make you happy with your job. that is the key. employers likes to see that, and it shows a level of maturity not seen in people our age.

best of luck in your interview dude. i'm sure you'll do just fine

A1an

Hellafunctional
Great advice...actually some stuff I have wondered about after completely lowballing myself in a phone interview lately which probably cost me any further consideration.

If all else fails accept their offer but demand monthly sexual benefits from his wife. ;)

Wazzap1101

Ready to race!
yeah that is great advice, always take into account the benefits and other job perks when negotiating.

it also depends on your area and the market. Here in SF you would be looking at somewhere around 65k to 75k a year, probably more with more experience.

thanks guys.

another key point i forgot to add, make sure you're very certain of what the lowest amount you are willing to earn to make you happy with your job. that is the key. employers likes to see that, and it shows a level of maturity not seen in people our age.

best of luck in your interview dude. i'm sure you'll do just fine

Great advice...actually some stuff I have wondered about after completely lowballing myself in a phone interview lately which probably cost me any further consideration.

If all else fails accept their offer but demand monthly sexual benefits from his wife. ;)

Thanks guys, thats great info to have at my disposal going in. The good thing is that I am already approved for the position, and I wont need to do another interview. Its pretty much paperwork and a salary negotiation. I've been looking on, and for the life of me I cant seem to find a solid salary number for a entry level QA Analyst in New York City. I do know that Tokio Marine is a mulitbillion dollar multinational corporation, so I'd like to work on that to a reasonable extent. :happyanim:

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
Search glass door for other people in this type of position and see what they are making. Good luck and congrats!

biggee72

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 GTI DSG
Search glass door for other people in this type of position and see what they are making. Good luck and congrats!

That was going to be my advice as well. Great site.