GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Never hear radiator fans turn on

Vwgtivw

Ready to race!
I never ever use my a/c or heater in my car it's always windows down but I also have never heard my fans turn on even after a hot day. Do you think my fans are bad? Would I get a CEL? I also har an Fmic if that helps

UGFast89

The Dubster Sith
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Your fan isnt bad at all. My buddies mkv fan never comes on unless he beats the shit out of the ac fan. He said its only come on twice since he's owned it. Btw, why wouldnt you run the ac when driving the expressway?

Vwgtivw

Ready to race!
Your fan isnt bad at all. My buddies mkv fan never comes on unless he beats the shit out of the ac fan. He said its only come on twice since he's owned it. Btw, why wouldnt you run the ac when driving the expressway?

I always drive with windows down and I don't get hot at all. Also 80% of the time I drive my car is very early morning or evening.

UGFast89

The Dubster Sith
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
So did I but I meant as in fuel economy lol its better to drive with the windows closed and with ac in the expressway than it is to leave em open.

Vwgtivw

Ready to race!
So did I but I meant as in fuel economy lol its better to drive with the windows closed and with ac in the expressway than it is to leave em open.

Oh I didn't think it made a big difference driving with windows down on expressway. I guess the drag factor and all, I normally just never use my a/c to be honest even with windows up its a nice temp in my car

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 3dr reflex silver

This is a myth. It may vary by a mpg or two but its not significantly different. Your drag is mainly based off vehicle size, aerodynamics, weight, engine size, and drivetrain. Putting your windows up will slightly decrease your drag coefficient yielding better gas milage, but not significantly more then what you get already.

lightningjack

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
09 GTI
how does ac play a role in fuel economy i didnt no that

The extra strain on the engine to run the compressor for the AC reduces mileage, or that's what they sued to say. I don't know that it's much different than the wind resistance driving like I do with the windows down and sunroof open as often as possible.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
With the windows down the air goes into the car and gets trapped against the rear hatch. How does that not hurt MPG?

And the fans are two-speed. The big one is running on low speed, and will go to high speed if you are stopped for too long.

vagike

the fans speed are modulated/regulated too. If and/or when a fan kicks on, it may not even be at full speed. The ECU will only spin the fan as fast as it needs.