GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need some battery advice

nskio

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Hey guys, have a 2018 Golf R, but this is a battery question and I believe it's the same across the GTI/R.

Went to start the car recently and barely cranks, think my toddler left on the map lights (I thought the car actually would turn these off if left off, but guessing not). I was in a rush and wasn't able to charge it, left it sitting in the driveway for ~3 days and got it on a charger that came from amazon. Charger would "run" for a couple hours and then flip over to a trickle, despite the voltage reading 10.75V across the terminals. Try to start it and it won't even crank. If I use the boost feature followed by the 75A starter, after a few rounds of boost I'm able to barely get it to start. Took it for a 30 minute drive or so, get back and it's still dead.

At this point I'm pretty convinced this battery is fubar. My plan is to simply get a new battery and clear the faults, but please let me know if something else is amiss. A few q's as I try to understand, since this is my first time dealing with a battery problem like this...

* Could someone sanity check that for me? Would letting the OEM stock battery (the 6R0915105B), drop low enough actually end up killing the battery?

* Want to replace it myself, but reading a lot about how the new battery needs to be "dialed in" to the ECU. I have an OBDEleven, so I'm fairly sure this is pretty simple. My understanding is, I have two options. I can order an identical OEM battery from VW, in which case I can just update the serial number to tell the ECU it's a new battery, OR I can get an aftermarket AGM battery like this (https://www.autozone.com/batteries-...gm-group-size-48-760-cca/319460_1574355_25698), and not only update the serial number, but also set some other configuration? Can someone confirm this, and also elucidate on exactly what I need to configure?

* Does a new battery come charged, or should I leave it on my charger overnight before installing?

* I've read something about a "battery saver", so between removing the original battery and the new battery, the power doesn't drop to literal zero and volatile memory is wiped. Is this a concern, or am I good to just swap?

* Will dropping to this low of a charge actually hurt other subsystems in the car, or will trying to start it without sufficient power mess anything up? Concerned that I could have damaged something else at this point.

Thank you SO much. Worried about this thing and sucks not having it ready to go :/

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Sounds like the battery was already weak. I would get an AGM battery. Sometimes a new battery needs to be adapted. You don't need to charge a new battery. If you don't have a CEL and safety systems work like forward collision warning you won't need to adapt it.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
I went to O’Rileys, they looked it up and had one available. Don’t remember what the number is but it’s larger and came with a 5 year warranty. Put it in, no coding required.

nskio

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
If you've got a battery monitoring module on the negative terminal then you need to code it in. If not, you don't.

How do you tell this? The terminal is distinctly different than if it didn't have the monitor?
If you don't have a CEL and safety systems work like forward collision warning you won't need to adapt it.

I actually do have a CEL. I'm running a CTS downpipe and the O2 sensor is reporting stuck lean due to the installed spacer. Haven't had a chance to remove the spacer. Is there a different process if there's a CEL, or could I just clear the faults, install it, bump the serial number, and be done with it?

nskio

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Don't most (all?) mk7.5 gti/Rs have a start stop feature? Or is this regional? Here in the states I know all the recent Rs have it. Would suggest they all have this manager but iirc mine just has a metal lead.. No black box.

nskio

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Providing it's a like for like swap, that's all you need to do.

Lots of conflicting advice, even in this thread itself. Is a like for like swap literally the same OEM battery? I'm also seeing people say get an H6 AGM battery with the best warranty, that doesn't sound like an exact swap.