GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need help with my sunroof please

macsnjets

I bought a used MK5 about a year ago. I knew the sunroof wasn’t working. Yesterday I started to troubleshoot the problem. The connector was put back on the motor and when I rotate the switch to open, the panel seems to move aft on the right side but not the left. The panel starts to open crooked then stops. When I push the forward side of the knob upward, the panel opens crooked but moves about two to three inches aft. Now when I turn the knob to open all the way it opens all the way but still the right side moves more than the left. You can visually see the panel still opens crooked but not much, maybe a quarter inch offset. Same when closing. With the knob at the close position it closes crooked. The left side touches the frame first then the right until fully closed, but then backs it self open about two inches. Rotating the knob to tilt closes the panel all the way but the panel never tilts up. Where should I start? Can anyone help? TIA

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
You can take a look at the official service manual to see if it has any real info on adjustment of the sunroof, could also try and clean and lube the sunroof. The other option which people have use when they are having issues with the MK5 and just cannot get it to work is to find another working complete sunroof unit and mount that. Of course, the headliner needs to be dropped but if it needs to be recovered now it the time to do it along with taking care of the four drain hose locations to make sure they are still working correctly.

Last edited:

macsnjets

Yeah replacing the entire roof would be the easy way. I’m just wondering what the motor drives. Is it a worm cable or something like that? Maybe it jumped a tooth or something like that.