GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need help please on misc. issues of my 2008 MKV

nsfour

I tried the search, but not much luck. My wife has a 2008 MKV/Rabbit automatic that we bought in July 2008.

I'm very new to this forum although I signed up few years ago. Hopefully you guys can shed some light on the following issues my wife has with her Rabbit:

FIRST:
She drained the battery weeks ago by forgetting to take the key out and the engine light keeps coming on. The light will go away once in a while (eg. fueling up) but will come back a day later or something. I have disconnected the battery a couple times, the light went off for a week, but it came back.

SECOND:
The fan creates noise once in a while when she turns the heater on right after she starts the car (It's around -5 to -15 °C here these days). The noise will go away after a min of warming up/driving.

THIRD:
The Air Distribution Knob on the dash is creating squeaking noise and it feels tight comparing to other knobs besides it. Is there a way to take the switch out to take a look if it's broken or dust built up over years?

Any help would be appreciated.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Get the real condition of your battery checked. Its four years old and if you really completely drained it you ruined it. Our cars need a good battery to operate correctly. And get your car scanned for codes.

I suspect your AC condenser fan is burned out. Make sure it runs when the AC is turned on.

nsfour

Anyone knows how to remove the Air Distribution Control Switch? The one on the right hand side.

Last edited:

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Anyone knows how to remove the Air Distribution Control Switch? The one on the right hand side.

All you need to do is get a thin, small flat-head screwdriver and pry open a corner carefully, I shoved a playing card in there to stop it from going back in, and did all the corners. Then you should be able to pull it out and pop it back in when you're done with it.

EDIT - jokes, thought you meant the vent for some reason. Nevermind I dont know how to take that off lol

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
What a pain you need to remove the bezel that way. MKIV's came off without taking all of the rest of the crap off.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
MKIV's cup holder's fly out and hit you in the face whenever you push them to pop out, as well... ask me how I know

lightningjack

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
09 GTI
I hated that cup holder. As soon as you put anything in, you couldn't do a damn thing with the radio. Fortunately though, mine stayed in it's place.

nsfour

Thank you guys for your help. It's pretty cold here and didn't get to do much with the car. The engine light went away though! I'm sure it will come back.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
I hated that cup holder. As soon as you put anything in, you couldn't do a damn thing with the radio. Fortunately though, mine stayed in it's place.

Here are the tiny ass useless POS cupholders that were in my 1997 328is...

The only cup that ever fit in it was a small starbucks cup, and you had to wedge it in like a goddamn cork to get it to stay put. One time, the bottom of the cup blew open and my fucking americano got all over the inside of my centre console. If you took a corner and the cup was not wedged enough, it would lean over and hot beverage would spill on either your lap or the person sitting in the passenger seat, or even worse, all over the passenger seat's nice Nappa leather. I loved that car though :wub: