GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need help: engine startup situation

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
:help:
On cold start, for maybe 1 or 2 seconds, my TSI sounds like the cams/valve train are about to jump out out of the head; like a rattling diesel. Of course it may not be the valve train, it might be the oil pump, fuel pump, water pump, etc. If it is warm out (say above 85 degrees F or so) it won't make the noise. As it gets cooler, it is more pronounced. If the car sits in the sun when it is warm out, like it did when I had the stealership look at it, it won't make the noise.

Does not seem to affect performance. There is virtually no oil consumption, and oil level is normal.

It is driving me nuts. I really need some direction. Thanks everyone! :thumbsup:

Jedy617

Ready to race!
Car(s)
CW R32 #2280
I have an '08 FSI and it sounds exactly the same when it's cold... I was also wondering what's up. It is making like a rattleing noise

Speeddemon96

Go Kart Champion
mine does that when i change out the oil and there is no oil in the system. but after a 1 or 2 sec it goes away after the oil travels though the engine. what oil are you guys using?

Jedy617

Ready to race!
Car(s)
CW R32 #2280
mine does that when i change out the oil and there is no oil in the system. but after a 1 or 2 sec it goes away after the oil travels though the engine. what oil are you guys using?

I got the oil changed at my dealer with castrol synthetic like 3 weeks ago, same sound before, and same sound after. Before I got the car, the dealer I bought it from might not have used synthetic when they did the oil change.

Mr_Kane

I know that your lifters have to prime with oil on initial startup, could just be the lifters purging air and making a 'clacking' noise. common issue, won't harm the engine.