GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need a little help (Mac related)

Midnight00SE

Mr. Othy
I have a terrabyte My Book as my backup for my MacBook. I recently noticed that when it's doing a backup, it's not updating all the new files I've saved within the past few weeks. Can anyone set me in the right direction of setting up the My Book to update things I save to my MacBook hard drive?

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
Select the drive on your Desktop, and "Get Info" (Command - I) on it. Under "Format", make sure it's not MS-DOS FAT 32 or NTFS. If it is, then you need to reformat the drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Bear in mind that doing so will erase all data on that drive, but if things aren't backing up to it and there's nothing else on it, that's probably not an issue.

If your drive's format IS Mac OS Extended (Journaled), or some valid Mac format, then it's likely that you've either set Privacy exclusions incorrectly in the Time Machine control panel, or that Spotlight has taken a dump and hasn't indexed your drive correctly.

Tell us what you find.

Midnight00SE

Mr. Othy
The drive is formatted Mac OS Extended. Checked into the Spotlight settings and there's no privacy problems on that end. Couldn't really find much in terms of the Time Machine settings not allowing it to copy.

eROCK

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 GTI 4 door
Did you buy Applecare with your macbook? If so, give them a call to have them open a ticket to investigate. Even if you don't have Applecare, give them a call and play dumb. They've helped me out in the past.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
Restart the machine and hold down the Shift key until you see the dark grey Apple and see the spinning sundial beneath it, at which point you can let go of the key. Your machine will boot up in Safe mode. Once it's finished booting, go ahead and restart the machine normally.

This should hopefully force Time Machine to reinspect your drive after the restart, notice the disparity between what it thought it was backing up and what it should be backing up, and start backing up properly.

Or call AppleCare. Same dif.