GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Natural upgrade -- S3?

mouettus

Ready to race!
Car is almost 4 years old, paid off, stage 1 tuned (best 700$ ever spent).... looking for a natural upgrade to the GTI

I'm ready to go AWD as I get what the fuss is about. Drove a couple RWD and didn't really like the experience.

Now I've been holding on until now so I could test drive the new S3's. From the reviews on the internet, it was looking like a lot of car for the money. So I went to the only audi dealer in Ottawa and test drove the S3.

- cool sound
- great acceleration
- AWD goodness
- interiors is a step up
- more direct and precise steering
- no body roll (best upgrade from the mk6)

then we came back to the dealer... and I was left not that much impressed honestly...

- yes the power is better than my stage 1 gti but the excitement of stepping on the pedal wasn't that much more enjoyable
- AWD. Yes I could feel WAAAAY less understeer but at the same time the car still had a limit that was "easily" reached.

Then things got bad. I asked the salesman for an S4 ride to compare. Now I know it's 10K$ more of a car BUT that machine brough back a smile I've forgotten while driving. One of the things right off the bat was no turbo lag!! (well it's not a turbo daaah!) As soon as I stepped on the pedal, BOOM! No need to build up power in the low gears. Second thing (what I was aiming for the comparison) is the AWD system. Haldrex vs torsen, plus the almighty 1500$ differential. As soon as I turned the first corner, I felt the car was on rails!!! That wowed me and sold me on my next purchase, the S4

Which brings me to my conclusion/analysis of the test drives... More power is nice and all, but I think that if you're looking for an upgrade for the GTI, that traction that I've felt was WAAAAY more enjoyable than shaving a second on the 0-60 pull.

So bottom line, those articles saying that the S3 is in the S4 ballpark are not really accurate IMO, in term of "fun".

Now I've just got to find a way to convince myself that having a car payment as high as my mortgage is reasonable.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
Now I've just got to find a way to convince myself that having a car payment as high as my mortgage is reasonable.

Heh. Yes there is that, spoiling all the fun.

S4 is fine sedan. Interesting that you found little to no turbo lag. Maybe you drove a B7 S4. I haven't driven a B8/8.5 so I don't know how they spool.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
I'm ready to go AWD.

I'd tend to think of the S3 as a R, with a tune, in a sedan body. The S3 is no slouch though, it can out run its Japanese rivals which is impressive.

However, the one thing that I don't like about Audi sporty cars is that they are too damn serious. They are excellent pieces of engineering, but they are all business. I'm willing to bet that you' would have more fun in a STI, even though its cheaper and technically slower.

Anyway, the S3 is a step up from the R, but a skip up from the GTI.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
S3 is essentially an R with a badge and mature looking sedan form and bigger price tag. The s4 power delivery is more linear and instantatious so throttle response will be different vs gti and s3. Also mk7 gti is a huge upgrade in comparison, its so close to stage 1 in stock form. But if i have the money id go for the s3 or id personally go for s4.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like you need to go experience more cars. If you were surprised by the S3 -> S4 difference, then you need to broaden your perspective.

I don't mean to sound like a snob, but there are such vastly different characters out there to experience and you may find you like one more than the S3 or even S4. For instance, go feel the truly instantaneous torque of Chevy's pushrod V8 (LSx or LTx). Feel out the driving position in a new Lexus IS. You might find that your most important factor isn't something that's even on your radar right now.

butchered by autocorrecr

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
The S3 has been tested faster 0-60 than the S4. It should blow the doors off any stage one GTI.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Im upgrading to a 15 WRX-STi. I love the S3 and spent 3 days with it in a test. I wasnt thinking GTi at all when I drove. Immense difference on all aspects. You sound like you should drive more cars or just keep the GTi. When you know you are ready to move on it will be obvious. You just sound confused more than anything else.