GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Names?

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I often find in my business/life these days that people get highly upset if you don't call them by their proper first name.

In all the 20 years I spent in the Air Force and meeting people from all sorts of foreign countries and in the U.S. I never met anyone who was upset by a nickname or their first name shortened.

Example: Al for Alan. Stu for Stuart. Dave for David.

I have been called all sorts of nicknames in my life from all sorts of people in my life and never really care. Why does this bother others and why is it so important?

ENRGZR

Keeps Going and Going...
Car(s)
Rabbit
What do/did you do in the Air Force? I know what you are saying, but working on the flight line paves the way for totally off-the-wall nicknames. Abd if it upsets them, then it sticks. Thank you for your 20 years.

gti forever

vw enthusiast
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
because. even though it really doesn't matter, people make it matter to keep their mind off more depressing things. this is why people show interest in anything really.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
What do/did you do in the Air Force? I know what you are saying, but working on the flight line paves the way for totally off-the-wall nicknames. Abd if it upsets them, then it sticks. Thank you for your 20 years.

Raddicted

Perfectly insane
Being in the corporate world all you should do is call someone Mr/Ms Last Name. Look them in the eye and offer a firm handshake. Simple but goes a long way.

When you get acquainted call them whatever they are comfortable with. And it depends on your corporate culture also, and profession to some extent.

Last edited:
I prefer my abbriviated name, but should someone cal me by my full name I could care less. when I was younger though, I wouldget mad at getting called my full name... maybe because I associated it with getting in trouble.

one of my youngercousin's full name is Maxamillion... we just call him Max.

BOz

Keep right except to pass
Car(s)
08' MKv GTI
my father's name is andrew and he goes absolutly ape shit when soemone calls him andy or any other nick name... I think he was tramatized as a child by his mother calling him that.. but all and all why not just call people by there real givin name... i have experience with people trying to shorten or change it up for whatever reason and it just seems stupid..come on.... MY NAME IS 3 LETTERS LONG!!!!!

keisuke_z

No way as way...
General rule of thumb is to call someone by what they introduce themselves as... there isn't really any point to shortening it. In the business world, it doesn't hurt to ask "Andrew - do you go by Andy or do you prefer Andrew?"

Always good to extend that little extra courtesy at the beginning when you first get to know a new colleague/client.