GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My quest for a replacement, and douchey dealers

herbiedriver

Ready to race!
Lost my 08 Rabbit two weeks ago. Found an 08 GTI at a local dealer, asking way too much for it, but thought I would go check it out.
Dealer claims they replaced the turbo and entire engine, but the general manager has the paperwork in his desk so the salesman can't show it to me at the moment.

I finally get to take the car out, slow day for me, and park it to run a VCDS scan...
Wow! So much red. There were 10 modules with fault codes, from headlight leveling to no power to the cluster, to intermittent fuel pump...

I told them about my concerns, and they offered to knock off $600 if I buy it now for $14,000....

I literally laughed out loud, yes LOL'd, stood up and walked out.

I am just worried about the unsuspecting buyer who will end up with this POS...

I hate dealerships for a reason.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Private owners are usually the way to go, just some paperwork to finance with your bank.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Private owners are usually the way to go, just some paperwork to finance with your bank.

Especially if you can find an enthusiast or car lover. Some of the cleanest cars out there never make it back to a dealer.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
My car will never go back to a dealer, would never get any consideration for the mods and outstanding condition it's in.

Johnny Mandingo

Lost my 08 Rabbit two weeks ago. Found an 08 GTI at a local dealer, asking way too much for it, but thought I would go check it out.
Dealer claims they replaced the turbo and entire engine, but the general manager has the paperwork in his desk so the salesman can't show it to me at the moment.

I finally get to take the car out, slow day for me, and park it to run a VCDS scan...
Wow! So much red. There were 10 modules with fault codes, from headlight leveling to no power to the cluster, to intermittent fuel pump...

I told them about my concerns, and they offered to knock off $600 if I buy it now for $14,000....

I literally laughed out loud, yes LOL'd, stood up and walked out.

I am just worried about the unsuspecting buyer who will end up with this POS...

I hate dealerships for a reason.

I picked up my 08 GTI with DSG 6 months ago with 47k on it for 11.5 this was from a dealer. It was also one owner. Dont know if that helps with where current pricing should be. It also has a clean title with no accidents.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Dealers have one goal, to make as much money as possible. Always get a CARFAX. Not foolproof but it's a start. And always IMO buy CPO cars.