GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My New GTI Now GIAC'ed!!

manol

Professional Jerk
Car(s)
GTI 2.0 TFSI
Well 1200km into getting my new GTI, I got bitten by the bug and decided to get my beloved car chipped.

It was a hard battle between APR or GIAC, APR NEARLY won out there for a second but after contacting Jarek of the VWWatercooled forum (who I have dealt with in the past), I was for certain decided on getting the GIAC tune done.

So I organised getting it done through Lucas, and I was EXTREMELY happy with the result. I had my questions, but Lucas from Eurospeed answered all my questions with authority, and was not bullshitting me in any way. I'm very satisfied with the outcome and process. He was hospitable throughout the process and did not try to win me over with salesmen tactics, it was either you like it or you don't.

So, big thanks to Lucas at Eurospeed! To everyone who is thinking about getting the GIAC tune done, DO IT! It just improves the drivability of the GTI in every way.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask! :thumbup:

Hong Chau

Banned
another happy customer from Lucas and Eurospeed.

TheYellowDartt

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
09 BMP GTI
ok man.. congrats to you man... im from south cali USA and want to get mine chipped.. i got about 4k on mine and have read nothing but great things about REVO APR and GIAC. now the only thing i really wanna know is... what other mods do i need if mine is bone stock... what is the mpg like... or kpg i guess... haha...

YouSnooze

You won't feel a thing ;)
Car(s)
2006 Mk V GTi
ok man.. congrats to you man... im from south cali USA and want to get mine chipped.. i got about 4k on mine and have read nothing but great things about REVO APR and GIAC. now the only thing i really wanna know is... what other mods do i need if mine is bone stock... what is the mpg like... or kpg i guess... haha...
You don't need any other mods; the 'mod bug' seems to insidiously creep inside you :biggrin:. MPG should decrease with everyday driving due to much more torque available. If you love getting on the gas with the extra horsies however, you'd have to expect it to increase.

TheYellowDartt

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
09 BMP GTI
You don't need any other mods; the 'mod bug' sems to insidiously creep inside you :biggrin:. MPG should decrease with everyday driving due to much more torque available. If you love getting on the gas with the extra horsies however, you'd have to expect it to increase.

thanks man.. i really wanna get this... i honestly read somewhere that the economy increases... but my drive is mostly freeway anyway... i still wanna get this... i also saw that there is a controller from APR that allows you to change the settings of the chip depending on how you wanna drive... maybe that would be a good thing for city to highway driving... ???

YouSnooze

You won't feel a thing ;)
Car(s)
2006 Mk V GTi
thanks man.. i really wanna get this... i honestly read somewhere that the economy increases... but my drive is mostly freeway anyway... i still wanna get this... i also saw that there is a controller from APR that allows you to change the settings of the chip depending on how you wanna drive... maybe that would be a good thing for city to highway driving... ???
You really need to do a forum search for this stuff - there is mountains of info available.
Basically if you do primarily highway driving your MPG will likely decrease.
APR allows you to change the ECU flash settings via the cruise control stalk - there are the basic 2 settings of 'stock' & 'flashed' but you can pay extra for some other modes like 'valet' which restricts RPM etc . [see their website].
GIAC has something called a 'flashloader' which is a handheld device to enable you to change maps like APR. It costs extra.
The search function is your friend :wink:.
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34275

510DUB

Banned
You don't need any other mods; the 'mod bug' seems to insidiously creep inside you :biggrin:. MPG should decrease with everyday driving due to much more torque available. If you love getting on the gas with the extra horsies however, you'd have to expect it to increase.

I think you meant that the other way round...

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
Yeah Snooze other way around man... and WTF are you talking in mpg? L/100km is what we use here. If you drive with a heavy foot your L/100km will INCREASE ie you use more fuel, if you drive nicely or highway it will DECREASE ie. less fuel due to having more torque and power for a given amount of fuel injected vs stock.

Big Yellow

I'm Big and i'm Yellow!
Car(s)
MY09 VW Golf R32 DSG
congrats Manol!!

soon you will be ordering more stuff off Lucas!!

ApexTwin

expert knob twiddler
for christs sake, if you drive a GTI fuel doesnt come into it! they are nothing on the V8s
But fuel does go into it. :thumbsup:

mljchan

gti mkv fanatic
Car(s)
gti mk5
:laughabove::laughabove: there's always one in every crowd, hey stevo?

congrats on the GIAC Manol..
you'll enjoy the car even more.:thumbsup:
no real need for other mods, if you're thinking you need to make changes to the car to accommodate the flash. the stock GTI can handle it with no problems.
but if you have the mod bug.......i think most would agree that improving the suspension would be worthwhile, with perhaps lightweight wheels and better rubber.:biggrin: