GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Garmin Says My Car's A Bitch

Luninox

Passed Driver's Ed
Riding this 700 miles trip up to NC from FL this past week, I discovered something!

At any given speed my Garmin GPS unit is over 3MPH over my oem speedometer! No cpu changes to the car, stock wheels, tires, stock everything, and well I don't think the window tint is giving me the trouble.

What do you guys have to add?
If i want to cruise at 80 (just under getting a ticket on I-75 for the most part) I'd just hate to really be going 76 or listening to the GPS and going 84!

crash331

Photographer
Car(s)
2008 GTI BM 4dr 6MT
It happens. Speedometers aren't precision instruments. Basically have to get over it. There is a setting you can change with vagcom, but I don't think it is functional, may be wrong though.

LeesburgMKV

gold n' black
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
I've always read that the MKV GTI speedo reads faster than what it says.

kfeng

Ready to race!
The Garmin GPS is right, the car is wrong. Assuming your car is 06-07, The speedometer reads fast ever since it came out of the factory. You probably saved yourself a few speeding ticket already.

LeesburgMKV

gold n' black
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI

DanSan

meerkat
Car(s)
06' TR GTI/09 UG GTI
41 indicated = 40 real life
52 indicated = 50 real life
63 indicated = 60 real life
74 indicated = 70 real life
85 indicated = 80 real life
96 indicated = 90 real life
107 indicated = 100 real life
118 indicated = 110 real life
129 indicated = 120 real life
140 indicated = 130 real life

DanSan

meerkat
Car(s)
06' TR GTI/09 UG GTI
oh well then jesus hates you.

theres a TSB to fix the speedo's on 06 and 07's. have your dealer do it. before i did mine at like 30 mph i was like reading 23 on a GPS. it was bad

pscalfa1

Passed Driver's Ed
Ask a friendly cop to clock you going different speeds and then use math to figure the higher values.

Murf

Why so serious?
Car(s)
2009 GTI
My speedo reads 1MPH slow, consistantly, up until the higher speed range.

Cruising at 75, it actually reads at 74. GPS confirmed, my speedo is actually still quite accurate at high speeds though. I hit 120 on the speedo a week ago, and GPS confirmed at 117.

Graubart

Ready to race!
Most '06 & '07 GTI's speedos read high (faster than you are actually going). VW says if they are within 5%, it's OK and refuse to fix it. The ironic thing is that the average speed function on the MFD reads dead on because it takes it's data from another source than the speedometer. Check it out. Set your cruise control on some speed. Reset the avg. speed readout on the MFD and wait to see what it reads in a few seconds. It will be slower than your speedo says. You can also check it against your GPS. Another wonderful example of "superior" German engineering.