GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Elusive EVAP Code

Little_Red_Fast

Back in the saddle!
Car(s)
2011 Jeep JK Rubicon
So I have been getting an EVAP code for the past month and a half and it is driving me insane. So far I have checked all the EVAP lines underhood (not from the quick connects on the passenger side back to the canister though) and replaced my N80 valve. This morning, there it is again. Does anyone have any idea what else to check other then replacing the vapor canister?

Here is the code I got when it first showed up. Every single time it is the same:

001110 - EVAP System: Very Small Leak Detected
P0456 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100001
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 2
Mileage: 73959 km - 45955miles
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 09:22:06

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2250 /min
Load: 22.7 %
Speed: 59.0 km/h
Temperature: 57.0°C
Temperature: 5.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 980.0 mbar
Voltage: 14.478 V

Perhaps I should replace my gas cap? Other then that and the EVAP canister, I don't know where to go with this...and it pisses me off. It doesn't hinder my performance, but it just seems to be a pain because the MIL is always on.

Thanks for the help!

LRF

ard

Ready to race!
i was getting something like that. i brought my gas cap into the dealer and had them check it to make sure it would hold pressure and they said it was fine. i replaced my "purge" valve and i didn't get that error for like a year. now i'm getting it again, gas cap light intermittently...

Little_Red_Fast

Back in the saddle!
Car(s)
2011 Jeep JK Rubicon
Yup, same thing, first the gas cap light, then the MIL. Sorry, didn't write that in the first post. Maybe I will try the gas cap.

I have heard that if you overfill your tank that it fills your evap canister and that isn't good. About the same time that these codes showed up, randomly, the effin BP pump didn't turn off and gas was shooting out the side of the car. Freaked the crap out of me!

Tmsracing37

Boosty McFlamin Job
Car(s)
06 GTI
Although I have no DTC/CEL's When I cycle my system for readiness using VCDS, my EVAP shows FAILED.

Little_Red_Fast

Back in the saddle!
Car(s)
2011 Jeep JK Rubicon
I will try cycling it with VCDS after work and let you know what it says, although I can almost gaurantee it will say failed too since I have a soft code for it right now (I reset the ECU after installing the N80 and its only a matter of time before a hard code shows).

Chris@RT

Banned
Try swapping gas cap with another car and run the readiness tests manually so you don't have to wait or keep it for a few days before buying one and make sure it doesnt' come back.

I've seen a bad seal at the intank fuel pump cause the leak as well, sometimes they are pinched from the factory or when being reinstalled.

Little_Red_Fast

Back in the saddle!
Car(s)
2011 Jeep JK Rubicon
I have popped the intank fuel pump out before to siphon fuel out so I could run high octane. Do I need a new gasket? That was months ago though...

I will ask a guy at work with a Jetta if I can swap his gas cap with mine and run the tests using VCDS. Can I find how to do this at ross-tech?

Chris@RT

Banned
I haven't done the tests manually in a while so I don't recall exactly it is in basic settings but I forget what block.. 070 or 071 maybe?

if you had the pump out that is the first place I would look. if its pinched and can be reinstalled right then you probably own't need to replace it. but sometimes the pinch is bad and you cannot reform it to fit right so you need a seal, its only a few bucks I think.

Little_Red_Fast

Back in the saddle!
Car(s)
2011 Jeep JK Rubicon
It was the fuel pump to fuel tank seal. Fixed it and the code hasn't shown up for about 150 miles. Thought it would have appeared by now if it were to appear at all. Thanks everyone for the help/suggestions!

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
It was the fuel pump to fuel tank seal. Fixed it and the code hasn't shown up for about 150 miles. Thought it would have appeared by now if it were to appear at all. Thanks everyone for the help/suggestions!

I know this thread is old. I'm purposely bumping it because it covers every workaround I've collected from multiple threads among the interweb for fault below. I just hope it's not the fuel pump to fuel tank seal. This should be sticky'ed.

001110 - EVAP System: Very Small Leak Detected
P0456 - 000 - - - MIL ON