GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

my e38 740i.... baller, shot caller

mrbikle

Go Kart Champion
So after taking my Volkswagen past the point of no return regarding engine modification, it has become a garage queen.

So I picked up a 1995 e38 740i. At first glance the car seemed very clean. Interior is a solid 7/10, with the normal wear on the drivers bolster and yellowing/cracking of the chrome trim at the windows. Engine also felt pretty strong, but noticed a small leak coming from the tank cap of the power steering fluid.

Once I got it home and really started looking through it, I noticed the power steering was not only leaking from the cap, but also from what looks to be a distribution block connected to the radiator. Furthermore, the transmission fluid line looks like it might have a slow weep. I sprayed everything down with brake cleaner and will be monitoring it over the course of the week to determine where everything is actually leaking from.

Other repairs that need to be done include the thrust arms, end links, and a rear brake line that has a casing crack in it. Also during the winter, I am going to replace the entire cooling system (radiator, lines, water pump, thermostat) as well as flush the transmission.

The one issue that is fairly annoying however is the rear tail lights. Some of the 'plates' that the bulb sockets interact with to receive current have actually corroded completely through at the contact area. I have cleaned off all the corrosion and used di-electric grease with limited success. Will completely swapping to an LED style setup resolve this issue completely? I was looking at the eagle eye lights.... since they seem to be fairly cheap and not overly cheesy looking. The DEPO clears also look good, but after purchasing the new sockets for about 80 bucks, you have a heck of a lot more money wrapped up in tails.

I really love driving this car thus far, just a few issues that need to be ironed out. If anyone has some suggestions or thoughts on parts, would be appreciated.

Pics for clicks.

mrbikle

Go Kart Champion
meh, just a beater. I do have face lifted angel eye headlights and LED tails and clear turns and side markers in the mail though.

Bfreiman

lalalalalalalalalalalala
My dad has a 740il from '98. It has it's problems due to age, but it's a great car. The ride is so smooth and the engine is strong.

mrbikle

Go Kart Champion
yea... definitely running into a few small issues. but w/e, nothing too crazy.

biggee72

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 GTI DSG
The repairs and parts are going to take away from your mod money...id have got an american piece of shit instead of a german piece of shit.

mrbikle

Go Kart Champion
I rather daily drive something I enjoy than something that is just transportation. The gti is almost finish in a financial standpoint...outside of drag slicks. Besides a differential there is nothing left to buy

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

big_nebrowski

Ready to race!
Nice, I used to have a 1995 e34 540i, i think it has the same motor and gearbox. How many miles on it? If you have a nikasil block, may want to check the compression. Also, I'd recommend changing the "lifetime" tranny fluid ASAP. Otherwise its lookin' good!

mrbikle

Go Kart Champion
yup... traded him my buell plus cash on his end.

mrbikle

Go Kart Champion
Nice, I used to have a 1995 e34 540i, i think it has the same motor and gearbox. How many miles on it? If you have a nikasil block, may want to check the compression. Also, I'd recommend changing the "lifetime" tranny fluid ASAP. Otherwise its lookin' good!

the trans fluid was recently changed, but this winter I am completely replacing the cooling system and doing trans fluid and chain guide all at the same time.

the engine did have the cylinder lining issue, and was replaced at 40,000 miles. The new motor now has 110,000 on it and 150,000 on the car itself. There is no oil consumption to me knowledge, so no real concern with the compression at this point.

The car is surprisingly quick for its size.

mrbikle

Go Kart Champion
this evening, tomorrow, and sunday.... at some point I will be removing the dash for the blower motor resistor.... basically with it broken, the HVAC has a mind of its own, turning on when hitting a bump, and only blowing 100% all the time, even when the car is cycling fresh air while parked.

currently pulled the fuse so it doesnt nuke the battery while cycling fresh air parked.