GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My DIY cold air intake

zero9nine

Passed Driver's Ed
I removed my engine cover this weekend to install my new BMC air filter. While I had the engine cover off I was surprised at the design and the fact that it sits directly over the (hot) engine.

While I had it off I recalled all of the heat reflective tape that the Rolex DP teams put on their heat critically engine components. I decided to apply this same principal of using this tape to cover my engine cover/air filter holder. So I called my local Muscle car shop and they had the same item the Dp teams use in stock. I ended up buying Thermo-Tec's , aluminized adhesive backed heat barrier item #13575. cost $20.

http://www.thermotec.com/product_detail.php?prd_id=13

The 12x24 sheet was almost exactly the correct amount to cover the entire bottom of the engine cover to protect it from the high heat of the engine. It took me about 2 1/2 hours to cut and place all of the tape. I am really anal though. It took alot of patience to cut the pieces to fit perfectly, but I am really anal.

Below are the pics after completion.

I have no idea if this mod will have any effect on the intake temps but it was well worth the effort for me to try. If the VAG-Com can tell intake temps I'll try to compare it to another car someday.

As for the BMC filter its awesome. It added alot of drivability to the recent REVO and AWE exhaust I added. I went with the BMC because of the F1 technology and discount at www.teamdi.com. I paid $77 plus shipping.

John

TEABAG

GTI Bunny hopper
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV CW 2.0T
Now you know dude! Anal pays off!!! :redface:

Other than that great job! Looks Anal...I mean looks very very nice!!:respekt:

rabid_rabbit

Just a GTI lover...
Car(s)
MkV GTI DSG
Wow, great job. Good workmanship. Guess it pays to be anal huh?
We don't get that stuff out here. Any chance they ship to Asia??????

I wouldn't mind giving it a go, that's IF your results show what you did ACTUALLY affects intake temperatures.

Post your results here when you can... :thumbsup: