GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My car won't accept gas

kayubassist

なんとなく
Car(s)
Audi A3
1. Last saturday, I went to Shell near Coquitlam Centre where I always go to fill up my car.

Gas gauge was at the red line mark, and MFD was showing that I can drive 10km with this gas.

So I fill up my car with v-power and when I hit about 25 litres, the pump clicked like it does when the tank is full and didn't let me put in more gas!

actually, this is the third time it has happened to me.

anybody had any experience like mine? What is wrong ? the car or the pump?

2. got pulled over for speeding at cypress while passing a cyclist, I apologized and told the cop that I wasn't looking at my speedometer because I was paying very careful attention to the cyclist but I was aware of the speed limit of 60km, he let me go with warning. :thumbdown:

Horus USAF

shhh Im thinkin......
Car(s)
06 GTI
I would think it would be the pump. After you filled up and the pump clicked, did you notice the fuel indicator rise significantly? I only ask because either the fill sensor in the tank could be bad or the overflow sensor in the pump nozzle could be bad. Just and educated guess.

kayubassist

なんとなく
Car(s)
Audi A3
thanks guy for your inputs
maybe i should clarify some things
it happened three times at three different pumps at three different locations.
it didn't happened like three times in a row, once last summer, winter, and last saturday...
it might be the tank in my car??

after filling about 25 litres, the gas gauge went up to little over half tank. (from the red mark)
the other 2 times, i couldn't even fill 5 litres eventhough the tank was empty, i went to another location and was able to fill up there.

Horus USAF

shhh Im thinkin......
Car(s)
06 GTI
thanks guy for your inputs

it happened three times at three different pumps at three different locations.
it didn't happened like three times in a row, once last summer, winter, and last saturday...
it might be the tank in my car??
My only guess is that that the sensor in the tank that measures how full it is, might be getting stuck at some position other that empty. That way when you go to fill it, the tank may be tricking itself into thinking that it's full when it's really not? Honestly that's just a guess and I have no clue how you would test/check for that. Best luck in figuring it out.

Mine does that too.
When I fill my car up in state, it's fine but when I fill it in Canada it happens sometimes.
try different pumps.
Also, my uncle's 525i, friends c55 amg did that too. we took those cars to the dealers and they said there's nothing wrong with it.
So I guess it's the pump.

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
pump pressure is too high I believe.

happened to me every so often. kinda annoying. I'd just pump a little slower.

Mike_1

sublime,civilized,insane
pump pressure is too high I believe.

happened to me every so often. kinda annoying. I'd just pump a little slower.

yup its the pump not the car since the pump is the one that stops not the car, also i agree with songman pump slower and all will be fine its happened to me a hand full of times in a bunch of different cars an thats always the solution

KipLarson

Ready to race!
I have this happen all the time and only at Shell stations. I usually just ease up on the trigger and pull it out a little (thats what she said:iono:). Sucks cuz I end up having to check my gauge and have to be super carefull not to over fill.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
I think that recall is for R's only, isn't it? Good thought though.

Yeah man, I'd say it's probably vapour backpressure tricking the pump into cutting off. It's more common if your tank is really empty, because there's a fair bit of vapour build-up?

Like what's been said above, you can try pulling out a little to help the vapour vent a bit, and pump slower until you can pump continuously, caveat being that if you pump too slow, the pump won't quit when your tank is full.

It may well be a Shell thing... got my first tank of the stuff ever last night, and at first it wouldn't pump without tripping, over and over again! Never had that problem at Chevron...

GTI lover all over again

Over fifty and lov'n it!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
It's the pump fill nozzle, look closely, there is a second tube inside the fill nozzle, that tube senses the back pressure caused by the vapours rushing out of the tank, pull the nozzle back a little, don't shove it all the way in, and don't squeeze fully on the fill nozzle, when it finally does shut off, you will be full, don't squeeze any more in!

see link!

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/fuel-consumption/gas-pump-full-tank.htm

Near the tip of the nozzle is a small hole, and a small pipe leads back from the hole into the handle. Suction is applied to this pipe using a venturi. When the tank is not full, air is being drawn through the hole by the vacuum, and the air flows easily. When gasoline in the tank rises high enough to block the hole, a mechanical linkage in the handle senses the change in suction and flips the nozzle off.

*Here's a way to think about it -- you've got a small pipe with suction being applied at one end and air flowing through the pipe easily. If you stick the free end of the pipe in a glass of water, much more suction is needed, so a vacuum develops in the middle of the pipe. That vacuum can be used to flip a lever that cuts off the nozzle.

The next time you fill up your tank, look for this hole either on the inside or the outside of the tip.

Or this link!

http://www.wonderquest.com/sleeping-birds-gas-nozzles-cold-hospitals.htm

A vacuum develops in the pump nozzle when the tank is full and that vacuum tells the pump to shut off.

Gasoline nozzle [Grenville Sutcliffe, Husky Corporation]

Next time you fill your tank, notice the nozzle. The nozzle "necks down" a short way past the handle and forms a narrow spout. Turn the nozzle over. There’s a small hole at the nozzle tip. Look closely. See how the "sensing" hole connects to a small vacuum tube that leads back up the nozzle. The tube connects the sensing hole at the nozzle tip with a diaphragm near the shut-off valve.

What you can’t see is a clever device (called a venturi) located also near the shut-off valve just before it necks down to spout, says Grenville Sutcliffe of Husky Corporation. It’s a ring with a channel through the ring. Gasoline must stream through the ring’s channel to reach the spout. The venturi ring also has four small conduits at right angles to the gasoline flow. These passages communicate flow pressure to the vacuum tube and a vacuum chamber above the diaphragm. The bottom of the diaphragm connects to the atmosphere.

Cut away diagram of a gasoline nozzle [Grenville Sutcliffe, Husky Corporation]

When you squeeze the handle trigger, gasoline pours through the hose into the narrow venturi’s channel, and picks up speed like a river running through a narrow gorge. As the gasoline stream moves faster through the venturi ring, its pressure drops and creates a vacuum. Like dominos: the pressure drops in the ring’s conduits, then in the vacuum tube, and, finally, at the tiny nozzle hole at the tip. Higher-pressure air outside the sensing port rushes in the small pipe and balances the pressure inside with out. The diaphragm stays in a neutral position. Gasoline continues to stream into the tank.

Eventually, the tank’s full. The gasoline in the fill pipe rises and covers the nozzle-sensing hole. Air can no longer rush into the nozzle hole to bleed off the venturi vacuum. The vacuum builds up in the vacuum chamber above the diaphragm. The higher atmospheric pressure on the underside of the diaphragm pushes the diaphragm up from the neutral position. This flips a switch in the automatic shut off. "Thunk!" The pump cuts off.

Attachments

• 2003-10-24-nozzle-diagram.jpg
    2003-10-24-nozzle-diagram.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,586

kayubassist

なんとなく
Car(s)
Audi A3
thanks a lot guys for your inputs and suggestions
i'll try pumping slowly and not inserting the nozzle too deep (if that's what she wants :iono: ) next time.