GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My car is aging.

offfthaheeezay

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 Rabbit
Mk5s aren't that new anymore, and it's becoming more and more apparent to me :frown: On my drive to school today, I hit a bump and my glove compartment flew open. This has been happening ever since I was first on coils, but this time when I tried to shut it, it would not stay up. When I got to school I tried looking if the latch was broken or something, it turns out the little tabs that come out of either side of it wont come out all the way and grab while in the closed position. If I leave it down for awhile they slowly come out, but that still doesn't help because they won't come out when the compartment is closed.

Has anyone had a problem like this? Or does anyone have any ideas to help?

Thank you in advanced :thumbsup:

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
My glove box does that every now and then too. It scares the crap outta me, like something was waiting for the opportune time to kill me.

It makes sense that the tabs take a bit to come back out so it wont shut after you pull the handle, but why does it fall in the first place? :iono:

Scharf

This happened to me a while back too. You can try the lube, but what I did was use a pliers to pull the tab out and then used a nail file to make it a little smaller.

Last edited:

Mariach

FIA F1 World Champ..to be
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI DSG
I think there may have been a TSB for that, honestly.
If not, hit with some WD-40! They just got gummed up a bit.

You are correct, they are not new anymore. If you own an '06, it's a 5 year old car! That's no spring chicken. That being said, The build quality is excellent, and a properly taken care of interior should last very long. Vacumming, dusting, and clearing of debris from inside your car goes a long way to making sure that nice interior always performs well.

Dybz

Banned
Car(s)
'09 GTI
My glove box does that every now and then too. It scares the crap outta me, like something was waiting for the opportune time to kill me.

It makes sense that the tabs take a bit to come back out so it wont shut after you pull the handle, but why does it fall in the first place? :iono:

i'll hide this in there if i ever meet you...

JWade

Passed Driver's Ed
Im pretty sure I'd just barrel roll out of my car if that thing jumped out of my glove box...

I just visualized that thing popping out of the glove box and a dude diving out of a moving MKV screaming, and laughed out loud at work. Pretty funny...

Pav90

4motion for the mandem!
I just visualized that thing popping out of the glove box and a dude diving out of a moving MKV screaming, and laughed out loud at work. Pretty funny...

Haha I did the exact same.

OP youve just upset me, my car still looks so new but it's an 06 and I've actually realised it's 5 years old :(

apollosfury

designeddwk