GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MT News on new VWs...Beetle/GTI

WakeHead

WakeHead
Car(s)
2008 R32 #0146
http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2008/112_0809_volkswagen_new_beetle/index.html

Here's the piece on the new GTI. Nothing earth shattering.

First, Volkswagen of America has confirmed it will import a version of the sixth-generation Golf. We'll have two models. The "base" Golf becomes the Golf GT, indicating VW plans to go upmarket again and get out of the $15,000 entry-car business here, at least for models imported from Europe. VW also will import the MkVI GTI, with both versions headed here about 2010.

Scharf

Do we have any official pics of the MkVI GTI yet? I'm too lazy to look.

Slipstream

loweritonh&rsports.com
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Not yet. It's supposed to be revealed at the Paris Auto Show in October, so I'd imagine we'll see some leaked photos by mid to late September.

Msteadman

Go Kart Champion
according to my service advisor, he says the MkVIs won't be coming stateside. who knows.

Same thing various service advisors/dealers claimed about '09 GTI's and Rabbits altogether.
Always lots of speculation/misinformation; only time will tell.

GTi Chooch

Ready to race!
The Article said:

"First, Volkswagen of America has confirmed it will import a version of the sixth-generation Golf. We'll have two models. The "base" Golf becomes the Golf GT, indicating VW plans to go upmarket again and get out of the $15,000 entry-car business here, at least for models imported from Europe. VW also will import the MkVI GTI, with both versions headed here about 2010."

What do you take that to mean? Are they reverting from the Rabbit name, back to the Golf name? That seems awfully quick.