GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

More on that difficult engine cover...

captainslow

Mr Oversteer
Trying to fit the BMC panel filter myself...not much of a success because the rubber bushings are way too hard for what i am capable of physically to pull them out.

Are there any hints besides those listed on vortex that I can use ? I thought of briefly running the engine around the block so it just warmed up, so rubbers soften when warm.

can i spray WD40 into the joints ?? I can see the bottom left rubber bushing and i was very tempted...

dodgey

Not a VW owner
Matt (TinyGTI) helped me with mine. We pulled from the rear forwards, to get the rear bushings off first. It became much easier after that.

Best of luck. It's not the easiest thing to pull off... :thumbsup:

aussiegti

VW pumping thru my veins
Trying to fit the BMC panel filter myself...not much of a success because the rubber bushings are way too hard for what i am capable of physically to pull them out.

Are there any hints besides those listed on vortex that I can use ? I thought of briefly running the engine around the block so it just warmed up, so rubbers soften when warm.

can i spray WD40 into the joints ?? I can see the bottom left rubber bushing and i was very tempted...

All I can say is both those things you've mentioned don't actually work.

Running the engine warms up the whole engine making it difficult for your hands to touch.

Spraying WD40 would have to be so precisioned on the underside, but you can't see where you have to spray.

Unfortunately the only thing that will work is persistence. :frown:

FWIW, my own experience and tips on removing the engine cover are located here: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12962&page=7&highlight=engine+cover.

From memory, pull one front corner first and wiggle occassionally side to side. Make sure you wrap your fingers in some cloth.

Good luck! :smile:

i don't know man, i'm 5'2'' 110lbs and even though it took me a little while of trying i got the thing off. i had to practically crawl into, with my knees on the front of the engine compartment, to get the leverage i needed. pull up in either front corner first... the work on the back. when you eventually get it off, put some grease on the grommets when you put the cover back on the make it easier to remove in the future. i had to take mine off a few times before i got an intake which deleted the cover, got easier every time.

captainslow

Mr Oversteer
Running the engine warms up the whole engine making it difficult for your hands to touch.

I was thinking to either try with oven gloves or the fireproof driving gloves.

Unfortunately the only thing that will work is persistence. :frown:

Yeah I know, I tried 3 hrs...:(

FWIW, my own experience and tips on removing the engine cover are located here: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12962&page=7&highlight=engine+cover.

From memory, pull one front corner first and wiggle occassionally side to side. Make sure you wrap your fingers in some cloth.

Good luck! :smile:

Thanks. I read that before I tried yesterday. I am mostly confused with 3-4 references from various posts on the forum and the mkv wiki because everyone seems to have different ways to take it out. And the force required.

Will try again soon.

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
Yeah watched the guys at Volkspower trying to get mine off the other day and considering they do it all the time it was still very hard. Don't know that i'd want to pull on it that hard!

zz2

VAG expert
Car(s)
GTI V

aussiegti

VW pumping thru my veins
hahaha can i take yours if i break mine ?? :)

Here's a suggestion:
Grab a long pipe, insert it across say the front of the engine cover (underside of course)

With a guy on each end, push or pull up (depending on how tall you are).

This will definitely get the engine cover off, although not sure what damage you'll do to your engine or bonnet. :biggrin:

captainslow

Mr Oversteer
Ok, finally I have time again to tackle the engine cover. Good news is I got the lower left out. Bad news is I don't know how to get a good leverage for the bottom right. I was expecting it to pop out easy since one side is off but not just yet...

Managed to grease the bottom left one with some rubber grease, it takes little effort to pull out again !