GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mods and Insurance Coverage- A Few Hard Numbers

allset

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk6 gti
After being inspired by the fact Hilfloskind had done this with the same company im with, I gave Geico a call.

I know this comes up on here every now and then but i havent seen any real figures. Of course, the rates are very specific to your policy and driving record. And deductables apply.

To cover my R tails and Borla catback its $9.48 for 6 months i submitted the full purchase cost of both. Thats under 20 dollars a year; for me totally worth it b/c im always stessing about a rear-ender since its happened to me twice in other cars.

I tried to get my APR IC covered but they dont include engine mods under coverage, but thats ok i guess, i can control what happens to the front of my car for the most part.

So, something to consider.

Bender1

Banned
I have Travelers (note it covers three cars and a house, so that might make a difference as its a pretty big policy).

My agent just has me save copies of ALL my receipts and email them to him. He puts them in my file and covers the item but does so at no additional charge.

Thank you for that. I'll probably be giving Geico a call soon and add my mod list. Didn't realize it could be so cheap. So worth it, especially with the AWE TBE on the way for me :)

allset

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk6 gti
I have Travelers (note it covers three cars and a house, so that might make a difference as its a pretty big policy).

My agent just has me save copies of ALL my receipts and email them to him. He puts them in my file and covers the item but does so at no additional charge.

Geico covers my home as well but its under written seperately. I wonder if i could have done the same?

meh, for 20 buck a year....i spend more on coffee and lunch in a day, good point though for those with umbrella policies.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
Also to note, insurance doesn't pay for a specific item it pays a replacement value. It very well may cost them MORE to replace the stock muffler then it would your borla. Which then means you are actually giving them more money to cover less. 20 bucks a year isn't terrible for the comfort of it being covered but you aren't always actually getting more for your money.

When I get the title for the TJ with the cummins swap from my GF I'll actually be getting a full appraisal done with an agreed upon value, even if it means going to a second insurance company. The jeep alone just by running the vin would only be worth about 4grand tops but as it sits I can sell it for about 10-12grand and now that it is mine its not even close to being done so it will have probably closer to 18-20K into it that i'd like covered if it were stolen or totaled. I'll be doing the same with my A3 once I get around to building the new engine for it.

The rest of my cars though I don't give a crap about the aftermarket parts as the factory parts often cost more to replace and it isn't worth me telling them there are cheaper ones on there.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk6 gti
Also to note, insurance doesn't pay for a specific item it pays a replacement value. It very well may cost them MORE to replace the stock muffler then it would your borla. Which then means you are actually giving them more money to cover less. 20 bucks a year isn't terrible for the comfort of it being covered but you aren't always actually getting more for your money.

When I get the title for the TJ with the cummins swap from my GF I'll actually be getting a full appraisal done with an agreed upon value, even if it means going to a second insurance company. The jeep alone just by running the vin would only be worth about 4grand tops but as it sits I can sell it for about 10-12grand and now that it is mine its not even close to being done so it will have probably closer to 18-20K into it that i'd like covered if it were stolen or totaled. I'll be doing the same with my A3 once I get around to building the new engine for it.

The rest of my cars though I don't give a crap about the aftermarket parts as the factory parts often cost more to replace and it isn't worth me telling them there are cheaper ones on there.

stock suitcase cat back is 304 new, my Borla CB was almost 750. We all know the difference with the R tails and oem prices.

But, ur point is valid, many oem parts are more expensive

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
stock suitcase cat back is 304 new, my Borla CB was almost 750. We all know the difference with the R tails and oem prices.

But, ur point is valid, many oem parts are more expensive

If your rear muffler was damaged in an accident Borla would be able to supply you just the damaged parts just as you could get the rear box from VW. It has been a while but I have seen them do this when working at a shop who was a distributor. Plus since you are paying then that means they or the body shop get to deal with it :)

Still fully understand and for 20 bucks a year would declare both.:thumbsup:

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
Chris - I have declared value coverage on my Volvo - probably worth 2500 book, but in condition it is I have offers of 8,000 on it. Its VERY affordable to do a declared value.

Good to hear, I've heard its not bad especially on cars that aren't being daily driven which the Jeep has been but probably won't be on a regular basis once its on 35s and lifted even more :)

Who do you have the declared value coverage through? I currently have geico for my cars and travelers but through geico for my home owners since geico won't insure homes with pitbulls. Looking to switch to statefarm, my car insurance went up but home owners went way way down to the point it was still cheaper. They said they would do an agreed upon value on the Jeep but the agent herself wasn't too sure of the details since she said she never had someone ask.

Lol geico won't insure homes with pitbulls?

That's actually not that funny and really pisses me off.

There is nothing wrong with a well trained people friendly pitbull. My friends have 3 of them and they are the most gentle dogs I have ever met (aside from the fact they think they are lapdogs and that can hurt at times). They are the most loving companions ever, and I've known them all for years upon years.

Pitbulls get a bad name because of tools like Michael Vick who train them to be vicious.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
Lol geico won't insure homes with pitbulls?

The only two insurance companies with completely open policies regarding them are State farm and USAA. So unless you or a previous generation of your family were in the armed services you will have trouble getting insurance if you have a pitbull.

State Farm and USAA only check for a bite history or animal related charge to you (and people living with you) and ask no questions about specific breeds If you have a pitbull that never bit anyone you'll get covered and a poodle that attacked a neighbor you'll be surcharged or refused coverage. Others don't allow pitbulls at all.

Geico technically allows pitbulls as long as there is no bite history but you need to tell them that you have a pitbull and they overcharge you accordingly. What happened for me was the online questionaire was incorrectly worded do you have a pitbull/xyz dog OR one with a bite history. Apparently the question was supposed to be AND. As soon as I answered it yes I was flagged and geico won't insure me unless i prove my dogs are gone. I was buying a hud owned foreclosure so you have about 30 days from signing the agreement to closing and I didn't have time to deal with cross shopping as I got close to the closing date. Geico offered to get Travelers to underwrite it for me so i could still get my multi policy discount, so they get credit for that at least.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk6 gti
That's actually not that funny and really pisses me off.

There is nothing wrong with a well trained people friendly pitbull. My friends have 3 of them and they are the most gentle dogs I have ever met (aside from the fact they think they are lapdogs and that can hurt at times). They are the most loving companions ever, and I've known them all for years upon years.

Pitbulls get a bad name because of tools like Michael Vick who train them to be vicious.

so true. they get a bad name.

bad owners not bad dogs.