GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MkVIII GTI to get 10-speed dual-clutch gearbox

corrado917

Go Kart Champion

Krog29

Ready to race!
Don't know why... maybe fuel savings but I think the DSG now is great. Be interesting to hear VW's reasoning.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
The reasoning is very simple, it's efficient. Government mandates fuel economy standards. Every manufactuer has to have meet for fuel economy. They average the MPG of each individual vehicle that is built at it has to average out to the standard or higher. It takes a lot of TDI jettas to help VAG average out the Bugattis. For every big power gas guzzler a brand produces it has to have enough super efficient vehicles built to keep te average in check. That standard jumps to 35.5 mpg average for the 2016 model year and to an astonishingly high 54.5 miles per gallon for 2025.

Technology in cars traditionally has been on a pretty slow but steady climb and recently it's freaking skyrocketed. Look at some of the technology Audi uses. TDI clean diesel technology, cylinder on demand in the 4.0 shuts down unneeded cylinders and uses AVS (adjustable valve lift) to basically shift to a roun cam profile so energy isn't wasted opening and closing valves on cylinders that aren't being fired, pretty much everything has multi stage oil pumps because it's more efficient, the 4.0 twin turbo has inside out heads with te exhaust and the turbos in the center of the V because it's more direct and efficient, there is an electric turbo coming out that with have exhaust and a generator attached to it, every letter series is getting a plug in hybrid, etc etc etc.....

10+ speed transmissions are coming quickly and are nowhere near the end. The next decade of automotive technology is going to blow your minds.

Krog29

Ready to race!
^ No doubt that cars are getting more and more technological advanced.

VirtuallyWorthless

I could use a seventh gear so I can drive actual highway speeds and get decent mileage. Right now fuel mileage really starts tanking beyond 65.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
I could use a seventh gear so I can drive actual highway speeds and get decent mileage. Right now fuel mileage really starts tanking beyond 65.

Agreed. That would be very good.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
6 speeds would really be fine if they made 6th gear significantly taller than the rest. I don't know why nobody has ever done that on any car AFAIK.

:word:

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
The short top gear in my MK5 R32 drove me nuts. I just could not understand why they didn't make it taller. There was barely any difference between 5th and 6th.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
6 speeds would really be fine if they made 6th gear significantly taller than the rest. I don't know why nobody has ever done that on any car AFAIK.

THIS. Very true/ much desired on the Golf R, and I'm sure many other cars as well.

Some guys install Jetta/GLI final drive which gives a slightly taller 6th.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
It's not the gearing so much as increased drag from air resistance. 10 gears is too many, the damn thing will be shifting constantly. It probably makes it 1% more efficient. Might as well put a CVT in it.

Soflogtimk6

Go Kart Champion
I sit at at about 4k RPM at 80 mph. Quit bitching people. Who gives a Fuck you drive an4 cylinder.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
I sit at at about 4k RPM at 80 mph. Quit bitching people. Who gives a Fuck you drive an4 cylinder.

Yeah good point... I'd never be able to achieve MPG ratings even close to what I have now if I was in a V6 car. Should just be glad with what I have. [emoji23]