GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKV GTI vs Alfa Romeo 155 2L TSpark

Lothar

Passed Driver's Ed
Last night I was at a birthday party, all the men basically petrol heads :twisted: when the conversation led to "How fast is your DSG GTI?" I didn't think too much of the question, but I laughed it off with "Enough so that I will spare you the embarresment :p ". This obviously followed by a friend with a Alfa Romeo 155 2L TSpark, "I'm sure I'll keep up with you, can we try?". I'm always up for a challenge, especially one I know I'm gonna win :mrgreen:

We happen to have a "drag-strip" close by. It is a straight piece of road outside town leading to farms. So not in residential area or on public roads.
Right first run:
I engaged launch control
We rolled down windows and he started to count
When he said 2 I left the break (knowing LC takes a second to kick in)
And we launched both at the same time
From the beginning I was about half a car lenght infront of him, and when he should have shifted to 2nd, he hit the limiter, so I gained another cars length and then up to 140 he stayed like that.

The second run:
We stopped next to each other, and I said I'll go without LC
Again we counted and on 1 I floored the car.
We were level when I noticed my ESP light flashing on the dash and I'm like "you idiot, you're losing power"
And he opened about half a cars length on me (aka the GTI's nose was at his drivers door)
I thought I'd catch him, but up to 180km/h we stayed like that :shock: after which at 180km/h we backed down.

We stopped at the garage, I got out of my car, and I'm like "WTF!!!" He just laughs while saying "Yeah you underestimated this Alfa!" He then told me that when his car was stock, he raced a manual MKV GTI, and he kept with it until 3rd, and then the GTI pulled up half a car. Since then he have fitted a CAI and free flow exhaust.

I was stunned, I thought the DSG GTI would cream it! Having said all of that, he is a really good driver, with excellent shifting and track experience. But is this really possible or is there something wrong with my car?

Pretty surprising actually, isn't the 2.0 TSpark only about 165 horsepower? My friend once had the 156 Sportwagon, and it definitely didn't seem to have the performance of the GTI. I guess Alfas are a bit underestimated.

-Maciej

Lothar

Passed Driver's Ed
He said something about the car having 110kW and 190Nm stock. How much can a CAI and freeflow add? 15 - 20kW and some 20Nm? Also, this is at very low altitude, only a few 100m above sea level. I can't remember, does turbos perform better on sea level, or at high altitudes?

Turbos are better at sea level, air is more dense. Even better when it's cold as well, which I'm assuming it is right now in SA? :)

-Maciej