GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MkV GTI to B6 Passat?

sethdude

Pobody's Nerfect.
I am considering selling my 2007 FSI GTI package 2 DSG and getting a 2010 B6 TSI Wagon. Have any of you made this same trade, and if so, what are your impressions? I really love the GTI, but want something a bit bigger and roomy for taking roadtrips with my wife and dogs. I am quite aware of the differences from the BPY (FSI) to the TSI engine, but I am more concerned with overall "fun to drive" and general satisfaction issues.

Last edited:

Sicktred08fsi

Banned
Car(s)
K04`d B6
I have a K04`d Passat and have driven a few modded GTI`s as well. It wont handle as well as the GTI. The Wagon will have a bit of roll. I have ST coilovers and H&R front and rear swaybars, and love how it drives. The wagon will have DSG as well. If you get on Vtex and look under the B6 Passat section, you will see how nice they look lowered and modded. Obviously, they will be pretty fast once tuned and such. Although; they are heavier. In summary, for the extra room, it is worth it. Oh, I also find my Passat seats more comfortable than the GTI seats.

utekineir

Banned
Jsw

It's a golf with a longer ass

09 iirc could be had tsi and 6 speed after that it got cut, can get currently as tdi in either transmission.

sethdude

Pobody's Nerfect.
I'm cool with it being a little softer/quieter. I never race or track my car, so the old butt dyno is the most important measurement. Is the general driving goodness of the GTI present in some measure, or is it a VW Camry?

Sicktred08fsi

Banned
Car(s)
K04`d B6
Def not a VW Camry. It is still definitely sporty, just not as sporty as the GTI. Throw on coilovers and RSB and your golden.

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
What color was it?

Dark Purple! Yes it was a factory color (for 73 only I think).

This is not the actual car, but it is the actual color!

bill6211789

Ready to race!
Im very happy with my passat, its really not much bigger then a GTI but if your looking at a wagon youll have more room then me, suspension and bigger RSB really help the passat out

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
I drive the car listed under my username as well as a b6 passat among others including a CC (slight trim and cosmetic differences vs passat but mostly the same). My GLI is manual and the passat / cc are both DSG. Several things I notice: 1, steering much heavier on GLI vs passat, 2 GLI much more grip on summer tires vs all seasons on passat (duh), 3 passat is a lot slower, 4 brakes on the passat aren't as good, 5 passat is slightly better on wind noise over 100 MPH, 6 different handling although you wouldn't notice unless really pushing. My GLI is nearly completely stripped out so it doesn't see much daily driving anymore but it's night and day vs the B6; much more fun to drive and much much faster.

Conclusion: Passat would be an acceptable DD if it has more power, summer tires & better DSG software. It's a good daily for someone who doesn't drive hard but I find myself always wanting more power. If you don't drive that hard the car would be ok but it's not as good as other cars out there if you like driving hard.

bill6211789

Ready to race!