GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKV GTI sideskirt removal & reinstall DIY

gtir6

Ready to race!
it is easier than I was expecting so here it goes:

1. start with a T10 and a ratchet

2. there are 4 screws to remove. one in the wheelwell and 3 under the car

3. after those are removed, grab the underside of the side skirt and pull up and towards you.

4. with any amount of luck and it done carefully. all the adesive will come off with the skirt

5. next remove the skirt support by sliding it towards the front of the car and then pulling towards you

6. remove any road crime, dirt and left over adesive

7. dry the area and reinstall the carrier

8.when installing the new skirt make sure it rides on the carriers before you pull the tape and glue it to the car.

Deezz_Nuttz

What's a User Title?
umm... shouldn't it be painted before you remove the adhesive to glue in back onto the car?.. If I can recall correctly body panels are painted OFF the car? correct me if I am wrong

jonnyc

Im sure that he has put the skirt on the car for the benefit of the DIY.. Infact, you can still see the tab which holds the cover on the double sided tape at the front of the skirt..

Stop trying to be so clever!

manydubs

Ready to race!
Did mine whilst the car had been sitting in the sun. The adhesive did not leave behind much of any residue or sticky part. What was left behind came off by rubbing lightly with my finger.

Rubbing alcohol then cleaned it up very well (after wash of course).

Then install GLI skirts, screw the ugly GTI skirts..

speedjello

Passed Driver's Ed
HI, i would like to know where i can get those double sided tapes for the side skirt? are they just any double sided tape i can find in any normal hardware store?

Wom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI !!
Stange thing is, on my GTI there was also glue used to keep the skirts in place. Was a hell of job for the paint guy.

Diabel

2007 GTI, PK 2, DSG, CW
good job on that skirts. thanx for the info. i will need it within few weeks. im planing on buying votex body kit. I hope i can be able to instal it by my self.:coolpics: :thumbup:

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Noice job there!