GOLFMKV

MKV GTI - Misfire

IMperfectGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Hello All!
This is my first post so be easy with me XD

I have a 2008 MKV GTI, and it recently started stuttering after a road trip. I've already replaced all my spark plugs, and was going to start swapping out my Ignition Coils.. But here is the typical thing, I'm tight on cash...

So while trying to fix my problem I purchased a Duralast Ignition Coil (Part # C1627 @ 20.99USD) and it was too tall, and the pins in the connector were marked(Left to Right) 4,3,2,1. Where as the factory connector reads (L - R)1,2,3,4..

While Scouring the interweb, I was thinking about upgrading to the R8 ignition coils(Duralast Part # C1631 @ 18.99USD) which is honestly cheaper and from what I read, worth the purchase.

:23:

Anybody have any experiences with them? They have a limited lifetime warranty on them, and along with my helpful pals at my local autozone. I essentially will never have to buy new ones again :headbang:

Any insight would be helpful, I will probably be doing this during my lunch break today :fighting0030:

IMperfectGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MKV GTI
So would the appropriate part for the 2.0T FSI would be: 06E-905-115-E(R8 Coil Packs)

Or should I be looking for something else?

Thanks for your help, Euro!

IMperfectGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MKV GTI
It was a cylinder 4 misfire, I swapped plugs out for Autolite Iridium XP(which were apparently the ones previously installed), and ended up driving up to Marietta for the aforementioned coil packs

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk

IMperfectGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I was hoping it was just the plugs but quickly realized that was not the case. Only paid 28.50/pack & 6.99/plug so it wasn't too bad. Luckily it's not a complicated process at all :thumbs up:

michail77

Go Kart Champion
When coils go they usually misfire in the low end of the gear range just as power starts to build.

Nothing like a fresh set of coils to make your car feel brand new! If they were worn out the car will feel much smoother and more powerful. Even not counting the misfires they feel like they make a difference.

IMperfectGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Same here.......
Sorry to see that guys. But definitely does make a difference, according to my "asselerometer". XD

In the case of carbon buildup I always seafoamed my cars. But then again this is the first turbo car I've ever owned, so I'm not 100% sure how that would go..(previous cars 02 Accord, 98 Avenger ES, 2000 5.9L Durango, and now MKV GTI [emoji317] )

Now I'm just trying to figure out whether my car has had a previous tune on it. I did the "In park and rev method" and it shot straight past the red line no problem. I'm not sure how else I could test that theory. I called APR and they do not have anything in their system. Who else should I look for in the Atlanta, Ga area?

According to my Torque app and Ebay Bluetooth dongle it was peaking at 20.3psi.

IMperfectGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MKV GTI
UPDATE: After Adjusting some settings in the Torque app, my boost was peaking at 9.6PSI, Oh well it was nice thinking my car had a tune for an afternoon HA HA