GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKV GTI DSG symptoms

TerranceH08

I have 77k miles on my 2008 GTI, and being the 2nd owner I do not know when the DSG tranny was serviced. At 80k miles I think im going to go get it serviced.

But when I shift it into manual mode and continue to shift or down shift, it seems to be a bit slow. Not .5 of a second quick as everyone says it is, For example 1st gear shift at 4k rpms, It takes 1-2 seconds to actually change gears. Could this be an issue with the DSG? I was considering getting a manual, but since im going to college next year I would probably have to trade for a MKIV, which I think would be a dumb idea? Going from a newer generation to a previous one?

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I wouldn't downgrade unless it's going to save you a bunch of money. DSG service is pretty easy, I would do a mechatronics adaptation with vcds when you're done or make sure it's a reputable shop.

Audiopulse

Gotta Jibboo
Car(s)
GTI
It shifts faster if you give it more throttle. If you're barley hitting the throttle its completely normal. A lot of shops are able to do DSG service now, you should be able to get it done for less than $200. I was quoted $175 at the shop I go to.

Nitrorea

Ready to race!
It shifts faster if you give it more throttle. If you're barley hitting the throttle its completely normal. A lot of shops are able to do DSG service now, you should be able to get it done for less than $200. I was quoted $175 at the shop I go to.

Agreed......if you're "giving it the beans" it will shift as advertised. If you shift if coasting or hardly any throttle input it will take longer. Just normal.

If you are unsure of the DSG service and you are at 80,000 K miles, it needs to be done sooner than later.

Actually just today my VW dealership quoted me $329. I know.....its the dealer....

joelkswagen

Passed Driver's Ed
As other have said, it will shift slower if you are just cruising around. Try stepping on it and cycling through the gears, it should be quicker.