GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 Exhaust Different Than MK7?

perforin

Passed Driver's Ed

Any truth to this? First time I’m hearing that the Mk7.5 exhaust is louder than a Mk7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI

Any truth to this? First time I’m hearing that the Mk7.5 exhaust is louder than a Mk7.

Yes, some of my friends with MK7's had mentioned that my OEM MK7.5 exhaust is slightly louder, by how much I don't really know.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
I bought a magnaflow cat back from a local dude who was trading in for a new Rabbit. He said the cat back didn’t translate from old to new.

perforin

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, some of my friends with MK7's had mentioned that my OEM MK7.5 exhaust is slightly louder, by how much I don't really know.

Yeah I’m trying to find more concrete info on this.
If this is the case, I wonder if the actual suitcase design is different or there’s something different further up the piping.

I bought a magnaflow cat back from a local dude who was trading in for a new Rabbit. He said the cat back didn’t translate from old to new.

This is because the tips are spaced wider apart. If he had gotten the piping to the exhaust tips adjusted to be more wide at the end points, it should have fit his car just fine.

Here is an example of a Clubsport S Muffler with the tips widened apart to fit the new wider rear diffuser of the Mk7.5 Facelift cars.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’ll have video proof next week. The catted downpipe/midpipe combo I’m currently building is going on a mk7.5 in Colorado and the owner already said he’ll being doing before and after videos. Not a direct comparison vs mk7, but there’s already a bunch of videos with that exact setup on mk7. I’ve already personally installed my dp/mp on a 7.5 but didn’t get a video.

There’s zero difference between mk7 & 7.5 OEM exhaust other than the muffler and tips.

There’s also a thread around here somewhere comparing AWE track to OEM 7.5 CBE. The owner felt there wasn’t a difference in volume between the two paired with his downpipe

Edit: here’s the link, I guess it was with a stock downpipe https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48725

Last edited:

perforin

Passed Driver's Ed
There’s zero difference between mk7 & 7.5 OEM exhaust other than the muffler and tips.

There’s also a thread around here somewhere comparing AWE track to OEM 7.5 CBE. The owner felt there wasn’t a difference in volume between the two paired with his downpipe

So stock vs stock, Mk7 vs Mk7.5 exhaust should sound exactly the same? I was under the same impression until I kept reading comments here and there stating otherwise (e.g. the screenshot I posted above with a comment by a performance muffler shop)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So stock vs stock, Mk7 vs Mk7.5 exhaust should sound exactly the same? I was under the same impression until I kept reading comments here and there stating otherwise (e.g. the screenshot I posted above with a comment by a performance muffler shop)

I am Baun Performance, GTI Jake is my screen name.

Anyway, the super restrictive OEM downpipe probably hides the difference if you compare mk7 vs 7.5 completely stock.

The muffler (which includes the tips) is definitely both different internal and externally between the mk7 and 7.5. Adding an aftermarket downpipe highlights this difference because the volume is drastically increased (no more super restrictive OEM downpipe to aid the muffler in keeping things quite).

Also, keep in mind that my first reply to this thread was BEFORE I had personal experience with modding mk7.5, thus I only knew about tip spacing at that time.

Last edited:

perforin

Passed Driver's Ed
I am Baun Performance, GTI Jake is my screen name.

Anyway, the super restrictive OEM downpipe probably hides the difference if you compare mk7 vs 7.5 completely stock.

The muffler (which includes the tips) is definitely both different internal and externally between the mk7 and 7.5. Adding an aftermarket downpipe highlights this difference because the volume is drastically increased (no more super restrictive OEM downpipe to aid the muffler in keeping things quite).

Also, keep in mind that my first reply to this thread was BEFORE I had personal experience with modding mk7.5, thus I only knew about tip spacing at that time.

Ah gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

I guess my question when distilled to the basics is what’s louder with stock DP only? Or roughly the same with stock DP?

I’m considering getting a Clubsport S Muffler which I’ve heard on a Mk7 and think it’s perfect loudness (wouldn’t want to go louder). If the Mk7.5 is louder than the Mk7, not sure I want to pair the CSS Muffler with the 7.5

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Ah gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

I guess my question when distilled to the basics is what’s louder with stock DP only? Or roughly the same with stock DP?

I’m considering getting a Clubsport S Muffler which I’ve heard on a Mk7 and think it’s perfect loudness (wouldn’t want to go louder). If the Mk7.5 is louder than the Mk7, not sure I want to pair the CSS Muffler with the 7.5

I feel like you’re not understanding anything I’ve said.

The ONLY difference is the muffler (which, yes includes the tips), so if you’re changing the muffler to a CSS it’s exactly the same sound regardless of mk7 or 7.5 as you’ve changed the part that makes them different in the first place

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI

It is. It’s not a huge difference but I did notice it straight away on mine.

perforin

Passed Driver's Ed
I feel like you’re not understanding anything I’ve said.

The ONLY difference is the muffler (which, yes includes the tips), so if you’re changing the muffler to a CSS it’s exactly the same sound regardless of mk7 or 7.5 as you’ve changed the part that makes them different in the first place

Lol my apologies. It finally clicked and makes sense now. Having discussion of how the DP affects the sound had me including a variable in the sound equation that doesn’t matter if the axle back portion of the exhaust is all I’m changing.

Thanks for the clarification again [emoji1303]

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Lol my apologies. It finally clicked and makes sense now. Having discussion of how the DP affects the sound had me including a variable in the sound equation that doesn’t matter if the axle back portion of the exhaust is all I’m changing.

Thanks for the clarification again [emoji1303]

No problem, glad I could help

If you’d ever consider a downpipe in the future I’d suggest the downpipe and midpipe first rather than CSS. This is what all three sound like together (it’s rowdy)

https://youtu.be/M_0z5LEsc9I

perforin

Passed Driver's Ed
No problem, glad I could help

If you’d ever consider a downpipe in the future I’d suggest the downpipe and midpipe first rather than CSS. This is what all three sound like together (it’s rowdy)

https://youtu.be/M_0z5LEsc9I

FWIW, finally got my 2019 Mk7.5 into an exhaust shop. Attempted to use my OEM exhaust clamp that I had previously used on my 2016 Mk7 to try and attach the CSS Muffler from my 2016 onto the 2019.

It had to be welded due to the 2019’s exhaust diameter being smaller than the 2016’s. Didn’t measure the stock exhaust diameter, but it definitely slid into the 2.5” opening into the CSS Muffler with space left over, making me think it’s probably around 2.25”.

Is this a known thing that’s changed? I was unaware before getting the exhaust chopped. [emoji28]