GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk6 gti liquid spraying around pulleys

Trist

Im assuming water pump? But advice would be nice.

Started car yesterday smelled a smell. popped the hood and all this liquid was kicking up looked like it was on ac pulley or tensioner and then getting kicked up. Tried looking around i have work soon so didn't wanna rip things apart yet.

All the liquid i see is on passanger side of engine bay. Car isnt over heating i dont see my resouvior getting lower car seems fine but havnt been going hard.

Attachments

• 20211018_124140.jpg
    20211018_124140.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 55
  • 20211018_124209.jpg
    20211018_124209.jpg
    1,007 KB · Views: 56
  • 20211018_124205.jpg
    20211018_124205.jpg
    964.8 KB · Views: 56

torga

Autocross Champion
Did you wipe it with your finger and smell it? Or see what it felt like when rubbing between index/thumb? It looks like a timing cover leak to me, which would be oil. I don't think it'd be your water pump, because it's not near these pulleys and could never leak that way. The wet spots in your third pic are 100% oil.

Trist

Did you wipe it with your finger and smell it? Or see what it felt like when rubbing between index/thumb? It looks like a timing cover leak to me, which would be oil. I don't think it'd be your water pump, because it's not near these pulleys and could never leak that way. The wet spots in your third pic are 100% oil.
It didnt really smell like oil to me when i put it on my finger its clear

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
The water pump is on the other side of the engine block. The upper timing cover can leak oil though and can cause a mess all over the passenger side of the engine. Looks like you got a little oil coming out of the intercooler piping too might want to check the o-rings on that coupler.

Trist

The water pump is on the other side of the engine block. The upper timing cover can leak oil though and can cause a mess all over the passenger side of the engine. Looks like you got a little oil coming out of the intercooler piping too might want to check the o-rings on that coupler.
Ok will do. I know my timing needs to be done but everywhere i shop around is 2k to 4k might have to do it myself