GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK5 TDI Strange ASR issue - light comes on after 10 mins

Hole

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has ever seen this strange issues on a MK5 TDI. We've just had the alternator changed as the previous one failed and was still under warranty. Incidentally this fixed all the horrible howling noise and rough running issues I previously posted.

Now, (might be coincidence), after 10 minutes of driving exactly, or 10 minutes with the engine running on idle, the "ASR off" dash light comes on by itself, and you can't do anything about it. Pressing the button to turn ASR back on does nothing. If you stop the car, keys out etc, the whole thing resets and works fine.

I have someone looking at it on Monday, I'm guessing it will need a VCDS scan, but I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before. The problem can be recreated everytime.

I was wondering if this could be MAF sensor related, at 10 years and 125000 it's never been cleaned/replaced to my knowledge. That said, I've cleaned the sensor now, so I would have thought it's OK. I've also tried running the car without it. No change