GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK5 Golf GTI Headlight adjustment for Europe (HID)

randomcab

Hi,
New here, so Hi everyone..
Im travelling into france with my GTI tomorrow and apparently I need to adjust my headlights so I dont dazzle oncoming cars. I bought a set of the headlight stickers from my local (and useless) VW dealer but apparently these dont work with HID's. Does anyone know if there is an "inbuilt" adjuster for this purpose. Read on the AA website that some fitted HID' have a slider wich will cut out the lift on the left hand side.

Cheers guys.

Attachments

• P1000038.jpg
    P1000038.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 9,619

selurffoeg

Car(s)
'09 GTI
this may not help you so much, but when i had euro-spec OEM bi-xenons on my B5 passat, there were little levers that we accessible from behind the projectors, inside the rear of the headlight housings. If you flipped these levers, the horizontal cutoff would switch between the left and right sides. So basically, if you can, open up the backsides of your headlights, and look near the projector housings for a little metal lever...

Myfast_GTI

Super User
I wouldn't worry too much about the French... as a matter of fact, just drive with your high beams on the entire time you are there.

grm77

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
09 GTI DSG Autobahn
I've got an American Spec GTI in the UK....want to trade? :) When I got it the shop did a "light conversion" to my car...not sure how they did it though (I think they just swapped out the red turn signals for the amber housing that the Euro spec ones get and left the headlights...sometimes I get flashed). I've been looking for this answer too!

grm77

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
09 GTI DSG Autobahn
Did some investigating today. I found the up/down and left/right adjustments but I can't find the L or R hand drive switch....anybody have any ideas?

randomcab

Thanks guys.
Couldnt find a solution for this before I went so I ended up just leaving them as they were. Turns out you had the best idea Myfast. Serves them right for having no lane discipline and leaving thier indicators on the whole time!
Thanks for the offer grm77, but Im pretty happy with my UK spec!