GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK4 appreciation thread

newtogolf

FIA World Rally Car Champion
ok I am a big fan of the MK5, I own one dont forget. nice looking car. but if i had to make one criticism id say it "looks" a bit too sophisticated and grown up. sometimes they dont look fun.

this is where I think the MK4 is great. their GTIs and R32s have some sort of raw coolness about them. they look younger. obviously there was better stuff out for performance but im really referring to the looks.

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
Car(s)
Golf mk5 GTTDI 2.0
i used to like the mk4 a lot too.. when the mkvs came out i hated them. i always wanted a 4.. now look at me!:biggrin:

newtogolf

i used 2 really love the MK4 when it came out. when the MK5 came out i was like 'Why!!''. just thought it looked too posh and grown up. then a few years down the line i realised thats what i wanted.

i was very tempted about getting a 5 yr old GTI at the time. but i wasnt brave enough to get a used. u just know theyre gona be thrashed. and then there was insurance.

newtogolf

scuderiavw said:
the 337, 20th and R32 carried them here in US, the rest were lame, weak looking cars till you dropped money in them, and yes i owned one too

yeah i know what u mean. ive seen some MK4 GTIs that look very much like a normal golf and not sporty enough. but then ive seen some fantastic looking ones (unmodded) probably cos theyre were more recent.

oh and i liked the idea about having a range of engines to choose from. 2 litre, 1.8T, V5, 4 motion

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
I ran down the Ohio Turnpike with a MK1 and MK4 today for about 50 miles. I wish I would have got some pics. I had my camera on me because I was returning from a trip to a friends house that I haven't seen in a while, but I forgot about it and didn't get any pics. They both looked nice. THe MK1 was sweet (lowered, exhaust, rims and a clean paint job). The three guys in it were smoking the reefer. It was a nice day for a road trip. I just kept thinking about if any of the other cars know what were driving, then what must they be thinking. Seeing such a cool site of those 3 cars running together and all. Later:thumbsup:

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
kirk180 said:
I ran down the Ohio Turnpike with a MK1 and MK4 today for about 50 miles. I wish I would have got some pics. I had my camera on me because I was returning from a trip to a friends house that I haven't seen in a while, but I forgot about it and didn't get any pics. They both looked nice. THe MK1 was sweet (lowered, exhaust, rims and a clean paint job). The three guys in it were smoking the reefer. It was a nice day for a road trip. I just kept thinking about if any of the other cars know what were driving, then what must they be thinking. Seeing such a cool site of those 3 cars running together and all. Later:thumbsup:

that's awesome...now all you needed was a MkII Rallye Golf and that woulda been Golf heaven :headbang:

MachSchnell

Rally Car Champion
I honestly loved my MkIV. It was stock with 16" wheels, 1.8T, manual trans. Red with cloth interior.

Everyone who knew me complimented me on the car, it was really nice to look at and drive. I didn't know how much better it could be until I got the MkV.

laserjock

Autocross Newbie
Actually, had my friend never bought his Mk4 I more than likely wouldn't have gotten my GTI. Didn't realize it was such a great car... His car sold me.. And there are times when I like the looks of the Mk4 better... but that's very brief. ;)