GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk V Rabbit 5 speed transmission rebuild and swap questions?

KingKenny04

Hey all, looking for some help with a project. I have a 2008 Rabbit 2.5 with a five-speed (US Market). I'm losing my 2nd gear synchro and would like to do something about it. I don't have any long-term garage space or an alternate means of transportation, so pulling my own trans and just swapping the synchro is not an option. I DO have access to space to rebuild a separate trans, however, so I've decided I want to rebuild a pick-n-pull trans separately and then swap it out with mine.

What I'm not sure about is what year and models of VWs and Audis I can look to for a compatible donor transmission. I haven't been able to find anything like a guide on what transmissions went into what cars.

I've also had trouble figuring out what specific transmission code I have. I have located the sticker under my cargo panel but I cant find any three letter combo that corresponds to a transmission code. The closest I can see is "02S", but that cant be right as thats a 6 speed transmission.

I also haven't been able to find anything like a specific DIY guide on pulling, rebuilding, and installing one of these transmissions. What sort of tools do I need when I go to pull one from a junkyard? What parts do I NEED to replace, regardless of condition? What sort of damage or wear should I be looking for?

Thanks for any help you can give me! I made this a separate thread to make it easier to search for if anyone is looking for information for a similar project.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

KingKenny04

Can I be sure that it will fit this car? I'm not trying to do anything crazy, I just want to have a trouble free trans.

I got my Bentley manual in the mail today, it lists codes HGR, JCT, KCD, and KPF as the compatible 04A transmissions for this car. I cant seem to find a list anywhere of what cars came with these transmissons? There are plenty for older transmissions so I don't know what the deal is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk