GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Misfire/Oil Smell

pwork

Two issues, hopefully they are the same cause/resolution lol but I know better. Looking for the next step!

1. Been hunting misfires for a long time now, but only on cyc #2. No other cylinder has reported a misfire.
2. Developed a oil vapor smell in the cabin under mild to hard pulls.

-MkV FSI motor. 170K miles+
-Manual valve clean 10K ago, didn't helped misfire, but ran better overall.
-I've been through several sets of coil packs, plugs, etc which seem to help for a few weeks, then issue is back
-Misfire is random and rapid, then clears itself after 20/30s. Then OK for a few days. Seems to happen when dsg tries to 'lug' the car at 2k rpm.
-Oil smell is new issue. New Dipstick helped, but didn't solve it. Front PCV is blocked. Other line thru the valve cover is re-routed. No obvious leaks or other accumulation anywhere.

Any and all ideas are requested...Help!

gdub9

Go Full Jeremy Clarkson
Car(s)
08 GTI
You've tried swapping the coil pack with another cylinder to see if it follows?

pwork

G- not exactly, but I have such a stash of red coils now that I just swap them out when it gets bad and toss the one I took off. #2 is the only that has had the issue.

High-yes, what are you thinking?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

high_octane3541

Go Kart Champion
Maybe you have a lot of oil in your charge pipes and the noise pipe is just "funneling" the excess smell/vapor? The noise pipe is just dumped behind the dash

pwork

High-Certainly worth a shot as it is easy and cheap. ECS has a blanking plug. Know of any other home brew option I can try first like a hose clamp and pvc plug. Not sure what the hose diameter is down by the radiator.

I've seen where I should check the coil wiring harness. I'm a mech engineer with limited knowledge/resources on electrical front. What should I be looking for, simple checks I can do with a multi meter?

Also, would a faulty injector do this? I'd rather go to the dentist than pull the jesus bolt on the manifold again, but would like to drive this car for another couple years as it is much more fun and eco than my truck.

high_octane3541

Go Kart Champion
Yes, a injector can cause a misfire

Have you tried swapping the coil packs around? Swap #3 and #2 around and see if the misfire follows.

pwork

An update: blocked the sound pipe and after two days, I haven't smelled anything, so I think that is fixed, thanks for the suggestion. Oddly, I can't tell a difference in sound, but does seem to run better overall. Didn't have time to switch the packs. That'll be next, but haven't had the issue in the last week or two either.