GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Michelin PSAS 4

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
There the 2 best "no" season tire. Contis have softer sidewalls than michelin so if you have to have stiff sidewalls go with michelin. Honestly though you can't to wrong with either or.

Thanks, I went ahead and ordered the Michelins on some Enkei TS9 wheels

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
There are about 7-8 sizes of this tire made in mexico.

w124_karl

Ready to race!
Took the car on a trip from central NC and headed west, past Asheville, to Haywood County for some hiking and change of scenery. On the way out the Michelins were great. Quiet, nice riding, and very linear. They steer well and feel really good without being darty like my autocross tires are. While we were there, we took the Blue Ridge Parkway in the wet and they felt great.

I have my car set with 0 toe front and rear, with rear camber set to nearly 0 to match the front, for autocross use. The car still feels stable.

The trip home was a better test. Huge downpours off and on the whole way home, probably because of Tropical Storm Delta. The Michelins are incredible in heavy rain - I didn’t notice a single moments hydroplaning. They’re very confidence inspiring and make the car feel really locked down in pretty bad weather.

Very happy with them.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I’m sure the same QC standards are there, I just try to vote with my dollar for American made when I can (which worked out in this case since 225/40-18 falls into that category).

While absolutely true for smaller companies that its important to buy american when you can, with bigger companies I try to look at the issue a bit more big picture. If a company makes a lot of stuff in the us, And employs a lot of people in the us, then it's not a concern for me where the actual part was made. The us company has to be able to compete somewhat with lower labor costs until our government incentivizes onshoring (which I firmly believe will happen in light of covid supply chain weakness exposure)

Michelin is a great tire company and worth the premium price, but they are a french company at the top ;)

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Thoughts on the Michelin PSAS4 vs. Conti DWS06 for daily driving?
Steering isn’t very purposeful feeling in the dws06. Frankly, it’s sidewall is too soft to even think about comparing it with much of anything. Only great thing I can say about the dws06 is it’s snow performance is surprisingly “ok”

The all season 4’s are basically behind in every performance metric compared to a 4s. By a tiny hair. Effectively one can say that the as4 is a proper all season 4s that can do some hood rat shit in the snow and rain. The as4 is the dark soul of tires, in a way.

I’ve driven on both this past month. I never understood the love the dws06 gets. Imo it is a tire that can’t do anything performance oriented “great” and it’s lacking for its price. It costs too much for what you get.

Meanwhile the as4 grips like nothing else except a 4s!

🤷🏽‍♂️

Firstgentalon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 1.8 TSI
Are you using them with the stock wheels? According to the Tire Rack measurements the tread width is not ideal for anything less than an 8 inch wide wheel. I believe the OEM wheels are 7.5 or 7.75 inches wide. I also experience sloppy steering with them but my main complaint is the ride quality. I am dumping mine in another month or two.

I have a tsi and was thinking of picking up a set of these in the 16" 205/55ZR16. Would it be completely pointless since these are like 6.5" (i think) wide? I know it's not a size for performance but just hadn't considered there could be negative side effects.

Surely they'll be better than my stock Hankooks, right? ha

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
You can cut a 1.7 60 foot on DWS06s at the track in a Golf R. You can drive them in the snow as well. Yeah, they aren't perfect but I'm trying to find another tire that could do that and I'm not seeing any.
The as4’s. It’s snow performance was greatly improved vs the as3’s+. And in the dry it does a hell of a lot better than a dws06, by a crazy large margin.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Bought a set. Haven’t had a chance to push the car in curves yet but daily driving is quiet and straight line traction is great for a all season.

Made in America which was a big selling point for me.

What sizes are the wheels and tires? Considering a set of these tires on 18x8 wheels with 245/40/18 tires for my 2018 R.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I have a tsi and was thinking of picking up a set of these in the 16" 205/55ZR16. Would it be completely pointless since these are like 6.5" (i think) wide? I know it's not a size for performance but just hadn't considered there could be negative side effects.

Surely they'll be better than my stock Hankooks, right? ha

What Hankooks do you have? A quick search on Tire Rack reveals the DWS06 are the best seller in the high performance category for your car. I would probably go with those but as you probably read I dislike the AS3+.