GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mich Pilot Super Sport

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I'll be really bummed if I loves these tires and they jump up to $300-400 to be in line with the previous versions. If I knew I'd have this car for at least 3-4 more years I'd probably grab another set but I have a feeling I'll be moving on within the next 2 years or so...and I really don't have space to hold 4 tires.

It's possible that this is just introductory pricing for this tire, but regardless it's a great tire. I always like it when people request them for their orders. :thumbsup:

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKVI GTI
It's possible that this is just introductory pricing for this tire, but regardless it's a great tire. I always like it when people request them for their orders. :thumbsup:

I certainly hope not... I want to hold off until spring if I can before I buy these tires just to help with my financial situation.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Got the car back yesterday with the new tires and an alignment. I only have a couple of commutes to work so far and not enough to get them work in for best performance but my initial impressions are good. Most notable at this point is that they don't transmit the same sharp shock on the crappy highways around here compared to the Hankooks. They definitely take the edge off all of the seams and lifts between the concrete slabs. More on performance later but straight-line traction is definitely imporved - as expected.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1

I really hope you're wrong that it's introductory pricing because I won't be able to afford them for awhile.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
I'll be really bummed if I loves these tires and they jump up to $300-400 to be in line with the previous versions. If I knew I'd have this car for at least 3-4 more years I'd probably grab another set but I have a feeling I'll be moving on within the next 2 years or so...and I really don't have space to hold 4 tires.

Plus the fact that tires do have a date stamp i.e. they only last for so long. They tend to get dry rotted and crack, which is something you don't want, especially with high performance tires.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Got the car back yesterday with the new tires and an alignment. I only have a couple of commutes to work so far and not enough to get them work in for best performance but my initial impressions are good. Most notable at this point is that they don't transmit the same sharp shock on the crappy highways around here compared to the Hankooks. They definitely take the edge off all of the seams and lifts between the concrete slabs. More on performance later but straight-line traction is definitely imporved - as expected.

I definitely should've multi-quoted. Anyhow, that's pretty sweet that they ride smoother than the V12's, because the V12's ride pretty well IMO compared to my old Hankook RS-2's. With that said, hopefully the sidewall is a lot stiffer and can actually handle cornering?

NewToVW

Automotive Ninja
They rule. I posted a small review somewhere on here.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
TireRack did a comparison test and the Super Sports came out on top with the best traction and cornering. user reviews also suggest they are one of if not THE top road tire out. The shop I go to said they are comparable to the PS2 on the track but have WAY better tread life. There may be better options for the track but if you primarily DD these tires are the BOMB. I'd be totally satisfied if I could get 24k (~2 years) out of them.

I definitely should've multi-quoted. Anyhow, that's pretty sweet that they ride smoother than the V12's, because the V12's ride pretty well IMO compared to my old Hankook RS-2's. With that said, hopefully the sidewall is a lot stiffer and can actually handle cornering?

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
TireRack did a comparison test and the Super Sports came out on top with the best traction and cornering. user reviews also suggest they are one of if not THE top road tire out. The shop I go to said they are comparable to the PS2 on the track but have WAY better tread life. There may be better options for the track but if you primarily DD these tires are the BOMB. I'd be totally satisfied if I could get 24k (~2 years) out of them.

Yeah, it's a tough call after seeing the guy in the other thread talking about the RS-3's. I would be DD'ing them, but I get a company vehicle in a few months at my new job so I wouldn't really be driving too much haha. My RS-2's lasted me about 11-13k for the two sets I had and I bought both sets used off the same guy who used them to autox and track with his 95 Mustang, so they probably started at 7/32nd's vs 8/32nd's new. I used them only on ax days though I did drive to tail of the dragon ~1500 miles with them and still got 2 years worth out of them.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I can't argue the RS-3 performance on the track but for a DD you get 995-99% of the performance and 2X the tread life. I's still not convinced the SS isn't as good as the RS-3 on the track. Just because everyone is sticking with what they know and trust doesn't mean there isn't something else as good out there.

Check the TR test - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=148

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Actually it'd be about $700 shipped for the 225/45 SS's and about $820 shipped for 245/40's. I want the TR Motorsport MT-1 wheels too and would probably bundle it because they do balancing for free.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I was $870 shipped on 225/40-18 with $70 rebate and then $100 for mount/balance and another $100 for alignment - so $1k out of pocket all said and done but the improvement in rude quality, traction, and handling was worth it since I needed new tires anyway.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Yeah definitely. And I don't have 18's so it's slightly cheaper. But I don't want to put them on my current 17x8 wheels because they weigh 23lbs vs 17.5 for the TR Motorsport wheels.