GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

mazda 3 S (NOT SPEED3)

TerranceH08

Cruising through craiglist today and I come across this 2004 mazda 3 S hatch, I know it's not the speed 3 so it has almost 100 hp less. I think the S model only has 160 versus my GTI which has 200.

Without a doubt I think my GTI is faster and has better performance, however this mazda (5speed manual) looks clean. I could ask for trade and I would probably get 2k cash on top, what do you guys think?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/cto/4844614509.html

P.S- I really want a manual and it's hard to find another mkv GTI thats a 6 speed and do an even trade.

Someone tell me im nuts, I just like the way this mazda 3 looks.

I know it says no trades, but would I be stupid to look into this if I own a 2008 GTI?

Last edited:

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
There's no way you won't regret that.

The Kia Forte I daily also has 160hp, sounds fine until you realize that's at 6000rpm and the torque peak isn't much sooner, it's so slow I actually think twice before passing people because I feel like a moving road block.

EDIT: I think you're trying to rush this too much. I don't know what your financial situation is but if it was me I'd save some money and either trade to a manual GTI or look into getting something newer, a Fiesta ST or something. Both cars you posted about are way outclassed by the GTI, they're worse in every way.

Last edited:

VMRWheels

Go Kart Champion
In the end, you should drive what makes you happy. It really depends if you feel like the 5-speed is that important, the interior/exterior features are more to your liking, and you can live with the difference in power. IMHO, it sounds like you'd be much happier trading with a manual GTI so that's where my vote goes.

Ich_Will

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 GTI
Mazda 3's look like a GTI's friend with a great personality... I had a friend with an '03 that he hated. That's one experience, so take it for what it is worth.

fd2black

Karma Police
Car(s)
2008 GTI 2dr
The wife drives a 2012 Mazda 3 skyactiv, averages about 35 mpg, great little car. It may not be fast, but it can be fun to drive. Steering is super light. She had a 2008 before this one and she loved that one too. They were both auto.

However a friend of mine has a 2011, manual, with the regular 2.0, and he has had nothing but good things to say about it.

But I agree with SuperSkyline. You should be able to find another 5-speed that is much newer, whether or not it's a GTI. I wouldn't trade my 2008 for a 2004 Mazda 3 by any means. It's definitely a downgrade when it comes to interior and overall car.

CoconutPete

Passed Driver's Ed
What is the motivating factor behind doing this? Getting a manual?

Have you already been communicating with the seller? Or are you just assuming he is going to go ahead and give you his car and $2K?